Useful Information

Anything to do with Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Useful Information

Post by DRT »

This thread will soon contain output from or links to our new Vintage Port Declarations database. Phase 1 has, I think, been limited to:
  1. A list and/or chart of declared VP's between 1900 and the present day
  2. Links to the TPF TN threads
  3. An indication (where available) of the current UK auction price of each VP
In pulling this together we will also try to establish a standard naming method for Single Quinta and second-string VP's.

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place where people can suggest some additional information that can be held as attributes to the wines in the database. Recommendations so far include:
  • the ownership/shipper loyalty history of individual Quintas
  • the number of pipes of each wine shipped
  • the grape varieties which did well in each particular vintages
At this point I would like to add a suggestion that we establish a set of data informing users of the correct pronunciation of the names of the shippers and their Quintas.

Any more suggestions or objections are welcome here.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Somewhere else on this BB g-man wrote:I was thinking, maybe we have a sticky in the TN section listing wines with their decant times?
Another suggestion from me would be to hold brief details of the company name and ownership of the Shipper and/or Quinta eg

Shipper - Company - Group
Fonseca - Fonseca Guimaraens-Vinhos SA - Taylor Fladgate Partnership
Graham - W&J Graham & Ca, SA - Symington Family Estates
etc

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Derek T. wrote:
Somewhere else on this BB g-man wrote:I was thinking, maybe we have a sticky in the TN section listing wines with their decant times?
Another suggestion from me would be to hold brief details of the company name and ownership of the Shipper and/or Quinta eg

etc

Derek
This is stuff that could be held on the database but it will start to get cluttered if displaying it in a thread. We could start looking at expansion beyond straightforward forum but that's another subject altogether.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote:
Derek T. wrote:

etc

Derek
This is stuff that could be held on the database but it will start to get cluttered if displaying it in a thread. We could start looking at expansion beyond straightforward forum but that's another subject altogether.
That's what I had in mind. We create a straightforward list of shippers and declarations first and then create underlying attribute data sets that could be queried by a more complex application.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn