1983 Dow

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Post Reply
User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14940
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

1983 Dow's Vintage Port

Post by DRT » 23:02 Sat 05 Apr 2008

On Decanting
Cork removed intact. Decanted cleanly off a well formed crust. A lovely dark ruby red colour with a pink rim. Nice fresh raspberry nose. Good thick mouthfeel with lots of red fruits but very dry and quite hot. Needs air time.

+3 Hours
The nose has opened up and is now more powerfull but still that nice fresh raspberry dominates. Nice weight in the mouth. Now more blackcurrant showing but the dryness kicks in quickly. A long mouthwatering finish with a little warmth on the top of the palate. This is nice. Not spectacular, but very nice. The dryness isn't just the classic Dow effect, there is lots of tannin here which suggests this stuff has some way to go before showing its best.

Based on this showing and advice from ADV I think this needs a longer decanting time than I could manage tonight so have put half of the bottle into a 375ml which went straight in the fridge on decanting. I will decant that for around 8 hours tomorrow and see how it shows before venturing a score.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2424
Joined: 22:09 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Sky Blue City, England

Re: 1983 Dow's Vintage Port

Post by KillerB » 00:15 Sun 06 Apr 2008

Derek T. wrote:On Decanting
Cork removed intact. Decanted cleanly off a well formed crust. A lovely dark ruby red colour with a pink rim. Nice fresh raspberry nose. Good thick mouthfeel with lots of red fruits but very dry and quite hot. Needs air time.

+3 Hours
The nose has opened up and is now more powerfull but still that nice fresh raspberry dominates. Nice weight in the mouth. Now more blackcurrant showing but the dryness kicks in quickly. A long mouthwatering finish with a little warmth on the top of the palate. This is nice. Not spectacular, but very nice. The dryness isn't just the classic Dow effect, there is lots of tannin here which suggests this stuff has some way to go before showing its best.

Based on this showing and advice from ADV I think this needs a longer decanting time than I could manage tonight so have put half of the bottle into a 375ml which went straight in the fridge on decanting. I will decant that for around 8 hours tomorrow and see how it shows before venturing a score.

Derek
This is from a full 750ml bottle from what I can understand. I have had this twice from 375ml bottles: once was not unlike the above TN and another was much more savage. I think that it may have been context that made a difference to my opinions. I find that Dow is not just an acquired taste but that you have to be in the mood for it.

When the two parts of a good Dow and right mood coincide it is utterly wonderful. Sometimes it does not work and this occurred on my second half.
Port is basically a red drink

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14940
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Post by DRT » 00:18 Sun 06 Apr 2008

This was a 750ml. The first 375ml of which has now left this world forever.

What do you mean by "savage"?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2424
Joined: 22:09 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Sky Blue City, England

Post by KillerB » 00:46 Sun 06 Apr 2008

Derek T. wrote:This was a 750ml. The first 375ml of which has now left this world forever.

What do you mean by "savage"?
Hard, tannic and acidic.
Port is basically a red drink

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14940
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Post by DRT » 00:50 Sun 06 Apr 2008

KillerB wrote:
Derek T. wrote:This was a 750ml. The first 375ml of which has now left this world forever.

What do you mean by "savage"?
Hard, tannic and acidic.
Then this isn't savage, which perhaps means that the two moons have risen simultaneously and life is good :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2424
Joined: 22:09 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Sky Blue City, England

Post by KillerB » 00:57 Sun 06 Apr 2008

Derek T. wrote:
KillerB wrote:
Derek T. wrote:This was a 750ml. The first 375ml of which has now left this world forever.

What do you mean by "savage"?
Hard, tannic and acidic.
Then this isn't savage, which perhaps means that the two moons have risen simultaneously and life is good :wink:
Excellent - that's the way that I like it.
Port is basically a red drink

Conky
Fonseca 1980
Posts: 1770
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007

Post by Conky » 11:49 Sun 06 Apr 2008

You both seem to describe a 'leave it alone' bottle. Sounds like it could be gorgeous in a decade?

User avatar
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2424
Joined: 22:09 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Sky Blue City, England

Post by KillerB » 14:30 Sun 06 Apr 2008

Conky wrote:You both seem to describe a 'leave it alone' bottle. Sounds like it could be gorgeous in a decade?
Possibly true.
Port is basically a red drink

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1970
Posts: 10829
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Post by AHB » 22:44 Sun 06 Apr 2008

I picked up a stash of 10 half bottles of the Dow 1983 from Sainsbury about 4 years ago. They drank really, really well and were absolutely perfect. Although they would last well in the cellar, I'm not sure they would improve - just change the balance in the components of their make-up.

Alex
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Taylor 2010 LBV
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14940
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Post by DRT » 23:10 Sun 06 Apr 2008

Alex,

I wonder if your view is based on the fact you have been drinking from 375ml bottles that may, if the theory is true, have evolved faster than the 750ml bottles?

One of my bottles will need to make its way to a Crusting Pipe Off-line somethimes soon to let you judge for yourself. Do you have any 375ml's left?

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1970
Posts: 10829
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Post by AHB » 23:16 Sun 06 Apr 2008

I have but one 375ml bottle left from that stash, and would be more than happy to sacrifice it to a TCP offline where we could compare the contents against those of the 750ml.

It would be an interesting experiment.

Alex
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Taylor 2010 LBV
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14940
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Post by DRT » 23:19 Sun 06 Apr 2008

Please add to the 2008 Off-line summary thread lest we forget.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1970
Posts: 10829
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Post by AHB » 23:32 Sun 06 Apr 2008

Done
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Taylor 2010 LBV
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

User avatar
DRT
Graham’s 1948
Posts: 14940
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: 1983 Dow's Vintage Port

Post by DRT » 01:08 Thu 10 Apr 2008

Derek T. wrote:On Decanting
Cork removed intact. Decanted cleanly off a well formed crust. A lovely dark ruby red colour with a pink rim. Nice fresh raspberry nose. Good thick mouthfeel with lots of red fruits but very dry and quite hot. Needs air time.

+3 Hours
The nose has opened up and is now more powerfull but still that nice fresh raspberry dominates. Nice weight in the mouth. Now more blackcurrant showing but the dryness kicks in quickly. A long mouthwatering finish with a little warmth on the top of the palate. This is nice. Not spectacular, but very nice. The dryness isn't just the classic Dow effect, there is lots of tannin here which suggests this stuff has some way to go before showing its best.

Based on this showing and advice from ADV I think this needs a longer decanting time than I could manage tonight so have put half of the bottle into a 375ml which went straight in the fridge on decanting. I will decant that for around 8 hours tomorrow and see how it shows before venturing a score.

Derek
It took 4 days for me to get back to the other half bottle. I was waiting on an opportunity to give it 8 hours in the decanter but it wasn't happening so I popped it tonight.

There was a little heat in this tonight but nothing distracting. Nice thick mouthfeel and a good long dry finish and still lots of tannins hanging around. I really like this stuff.

Score: 7:7
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
TBird
Fonseca LBV
Posts: 147
Joined: 15:04 Thu 28 Aug 2008
Location: park slope, brooklyn
Contact:

Re: 1983 Dow's Vintage Port

Post by TBird » 01:03 Wed 17 Dec 2008

tasted twice in the last 3 months with consistant notes of: nose of black cherry, black tea & blackberries. palate of figs plums cherries & chocolate. my impressions are that these two bottles were fully mature... :shock:
you've got a friend in cheeses

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests