1983 Dow

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1983 Dow's Vintage Port

Post by DRT »

On Decanting
Cork removed intact. Decanted cleanly off a well formed crust. A lovely dark ruby red colour with a pink rim. Nice fresh raspberry nose. Good thick mouthfeel with lots of red fruits but very dry and quite hot. Needs air time.

+3 Hours
The nose has opened up and is now more powerfull but still that nice fresh raspberry dominates. Nice weight in the mouth. Now more blackcurrant showing but the dryness kicks in quickly. A long mouthwatering finish with a little warmth on the top of the palate. This is nice. Not spectacular, but very nice. The dryness isn't just the classic Dow effect, there is lots of tannin here which suggests this stuff has some way to go before showing its best.

Based on this showing and advice from ADV I think this needs a longer decanting time than I could manage tonight so have put half of the bottle into a 375ml which went straight in the fridge on decanting. I will decant that for around 8 hours tomorrow and see how it shows before venturing a score.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: 1983 Dow's Vintage Port

Post by KillerB »

Derek T. wrote:On Decanting
Cork removed intact. Decanted cleanly off a well formed crust. A lovely dark ruby red colour with a pink rim. Nice fresh raspberry nose. Good thick mouthfeel with lots of red fruits but very dry and quite hot. Needs air time.

+3 Hours
The nose has opened up and is now more powerfull but still that nice fresh raspberry dominates. Nice weight in the mouth. Now more blackcurrant showing but the dryness kicks in quickly. A long mouthwatering finish with a little warmth on the top of the palate. This is nice. Not spectacular, but very nice. The dryness isn't just the classic Dow effect, there is lots of tannin here which suggests this stuff has some way to go before showing its best.

Based on this showing and advice from ADV I think this needs a longer decanting time than I could manage tonight so have put half of the bottle into a 375ml which went straight in the fridge on decanting. I will decant that for around 8 hours tomorrow and see how it shows before venturing a score.

Derek
This is from a full 750ml bottle from what I can understand. I have had this twice from 375ml bottles: once was not unlike the above TN and another was much more savage. I think that it may have been context that made a difference to my opinions. I find that Dow is not just an acquired taste but that you have to be in the mood for it.

When the two parts of a good Dow and right mood coincide it is utterly wonderful. Sometimes it does not work and this occurred on my second half.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

This was a 750ml. The first 375ml of which has now left this world forever.

What do you mean by "savage"?
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Derek T. wrote:This was a 750ml. The first 375ml of which has now left this world forever.

Hard, tannic and acidic.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote:
Derek T. wrote:This was a 750ml. The first 375ml of which has now left this world forever.

Hard, tannic and acidic.
Then this isn't savage, which perhaps means that the two moons have risen simultaneously and life is good :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Derek T. wrote:
KillerB wrote:

Hard, tannic and acidic.
Then this isn't savage, which perhaps means that the two moons have risen simultaneously and life is good :wink:
Excellent - that's the way that I like it.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

You both seem to describe a 'leave it alone' bottle. Sounds like it could be gorgeous in a decade?
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Conky wrote:You both seem to describe a 'leave it alone' bottle. Sounds like it could be gorgeous in a decade?
Possibly true.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I picked up a stash of 10 half bottles of the Dow 1983 from Sainsbury about 4 years ago. They drank really, really well and were absolutely perfect. Although they would last well in the cellar, I'm not sure they would improve - just change the balance in the components of their make-up.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Alex,

I wonder if your view is based on the fact you have been drinking from 375ml bottles that may, if the theory is true, have evolved faster than the 750ml bottles?

One of my bottles will need to make its way to a Crusting Pipe Off-line somethimes soon to let you judge for yourself. Do you have any 375ml's left?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I have but one 375ml bottle left from that stash, and would be more than happy to sacrifice it to a TCP offline where we could compare the contents against those of the 750ml.

It would be an interesting experiment.

Alex

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Please add to the 2008 Off-line summary thread lest we forget.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Done

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Derek T. wrote:On Decanting

+3 Hours

Derek
It took 4 days for me to get back to the other half bottle. I was waiting on an opportunity to give it 8 hours in the decanter but it wasn't happening so I popped it tonight.

There was a little heat in this tonight but nothing distracting. Nice thick mouthfeel and a good long dry finish and still lots of tannins hanging around. I really like this stuff.

Score: 7:7
Ernest H. Cockburn
TBird
Fonseca LBV

Post by TBird »

tasted twice in the last 3 months with consistant notes of: nose of black cherry, black tea & blackberries. palate of figs plums cherries & chocolate. my impressions are that these two bottles were fully mature... :shock:
you've got a friend in cheeses