1988 Fonseca Guimaraens

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

1988 Fonseca Guimaraens VP

Post by KillerB »

Straight outta the bottle and decanted.

Very dark ruby colour with mild viscosity. Masses of sweet cherry fruit when decanting which has gone a little in the glass. In the mouth: medium-bodied, cherries, acidic finish with aniseed. Very pleasant but nothing special yet... wait.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1988 Fonseca Guimaraens VP

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote: nothing special yet... wait.
It's your fault. TN on pop-n-pour Kopke 1994 coming up shortly :roll:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Re: 1988 Fonseca Guimaraens VP

Post by KillerB »

Derek T. wrote:
KillerB wrote: nothing special yet... wait.
It's your fault. TN on pop-n-pour Kopke 1994 coming up shortly :roll:
I got one of those. Not tonight though.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

I have to say that tasting this on its own is very pleasant indeed. The last time I gave it a go was after TPF's Christmas off-line when Uncle Tom thrust a decanter into my hand. It was disappointing then but so would most anything based on what we'd just had.

On its own this is a very enjoyable glass but not a great glass of Fonseca. Maybe tomoroow the floral notes will appear but tonight it is just plain pleasant. Given the option of spending £15 on this or not then I would highly recommend the former. £20 then still buy maybe even £25. It is good, it is not wonderful.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I know I have had this but can't find a note of it.

To be honest, I tend to steer clear of the FG VPs as I think they always suffer from the gap between what they can deliver against a real Fonseca. I think that gap is probably wider than the equivalent for any of the other big Shippers.

I accept that I am probably doing the FG range a dis-service as they are very good quality wines at a very good price. It's just that their older brother seems to generate a gap equivalent to Stephen Hawking v benny from Crossroads :?
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Derek T. wrote:I know I have had this but can't find a note of it.

To be honest, I tend to steer clear of the FG VPs as I think they always suffer from the gap between what they can deliver against a real Fonseca. I think that gap is probably wider than the equivalent for any of the other big Shippers.

I accept that I am probably doing the FG range a dis-service as they are very good quality wines at a very good price. It's just that their older brother seems to generate a gap equivalent to Stephen Hawking v benny from Crossroads :?
Remember that Benny was an undisclosed genius.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote:

I fear that this thread is starting to stray from the original topic.

That said, Miss Diane would never have attracted the gaze of a Fonseca 66
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Derek T. wrote:
KillerB wrote:

I fear that this thread is starting to stray from the original topic.

That said, Miss Diane would never have attracted the gaze of a Fonseca 66
It was not straying but an analogy. Just because Stephen Hawking is recognised as one of the greatest minds of the last century does not mean that those not normally recognised should not be appreciated just because they didn't reform the Big Bang Theory nor reinterpret the Theory of Relativity.

FG88 is pretty nice, especially at £15 per bottle.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

I was lectured by Hawking.

Post by jdaw1 »

I was lectured by Hawking. Or rather, I went to lectures read by his wheelchair. Clever chappie. (You have to be really clever to have a type of radiation named after you. Black holes leak, eh. Who’d have known?)
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Majority of flavours killed by Port Salut but still kicks through so more to this than just a lightweight Fonseca. Sadly, it is only the tannins that are retained and not the fruit.

Port Salut is really a lovely cheese, so is this Gouda.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: I was lectured by Hawking.

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:I was lectured by Hawking. Or rather, I went to lectures read by his wheelchair. Clever chappie. (You have to be really clever to have a type of radiation named after you. Black holes leak, eh. Who’d have known?)
I always suspected but couldn't be sure without the benefit of a talking wheelchair.
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Enough of the sub-atomic name-dropping, the guy still can't prove gravity.

Just been watching Alison Goldfrapp for half an hour and sub-atomic particles have gone from my conscienceness.

Left my palate for a while and this is now:

+2:00 hours.

Still dark. Nose has pepper and capsicums. Soft mouthfeel with cherries, raspberries and mint. Anseed on the finish and still a very pleasant Port.

Recommended - don't ignore just because there is more powerful Fonseca.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I accept your advice and will endeavour to drink more FG in the years to come.
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

One(ish) day later.

The cherries have mellowed and the aniseed is now more to the fore. Tannins have somehow managed to become stronger. Still enjoyable.

This will be interesting to taste again in ten years to see how it has developed. I do not think that it is necessarily going to die. It has a good backbone so ten years will do it no harm but will it do it any good? Note date for diary - 6th April 2018.

Happy New Year everyone.