1950 Taylor Special Quinta

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1950 Taylor Special Quinta

Post by jdaw1 »

Friday 16th March 2007: chez mon père, a sesquivertical of Cockburn and Taylor (paperwork). Present: JDAW MAW RAW WDBP RKA JFH MF SRG, and sort-of SVW. See review.

A vertical of Cockburn, with some matching Taylor vintages, and some mystery bottles.

• Taylor Special Quinta 1950
Pale rose, maybe a hint of orange, with little nose. Later I noted ‟maybe citrus”. It was too acid to be enjoyable, though improved somewhat with time in the glass (or maybe with alcohol in me). (See thread on other BB.)

Identifiable only from the capsule.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

TSQ50: case for sale

Post by jdaw1 »

Apparently here one can buy a entire case of TSQ50.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

What a shame this bottle wasn't in prime condition. That's what I strive for in my love of Port, the chance to share an old bottle, in prime health, that evokes the craft and maturity that symbolises the process of Port making. One day I'd love to come across such a 45, but a 50 would be fun to. Ah well, to dream...

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Alan,

In case you haven't picked up all the previous threads on the port elsewhere, this was a wine that was produced in a very small quantity for a special occassion. Someone, possibly a relative of the owners of Taylor's, ordered a quantity of this to be bottled in the UK. Corney & Barrow were probably allowed to bottle and sell a limited quantity of it for sale as part payment for the private bottling.

What this means is that it was probably a requirement to have a 1950 port with the Taylor's name on it but this was more than likely a relatively low quality VP. The fact that it is still drinkable nearly 60 years later is remarakble in itself.

Al-B and I shared a bottle of this (and still have 1 each) a few months ago and it seemed to show better than the one Julian had but not by much.

I will be leaving my other bottle for Ross to drink on it's 100th birthday 88)

Derek
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Shame WE wont be able to tell you how it went...unless there is an afterlife.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Ok- stop going on about it - we'll have it sometime soon :lol: