Churchill's Port Club

Anything to do with Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Churchill's Port Club

Post by JacobH »

I am absolutely not complaining about the selection! But I just wonder how sustainable it is? £80 is about €91. The retail prices are €24 for the 75cl tawny and €32 for the Crusted (so €56 in total). Whilst they don’t sell the 1992 QdAA; the 2003 QdG is €75 and the 1997 VP is €110. It just feels like this box is much under the retail value which made me worried that they just running out the year, unless they can’t sell the 1992 for the sorts of prices that the younger vintages go for. Or are being extremely generous! I’m crossing my fingers for the latter.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

The 1992 QdAA is a cracking port if you get a good bottle of it. Almost makes me want to sign up for Port Club.
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by rich_n »

JacobH wrote:I am absolutely not complaining about the selection! But I just wonder how sustainable it is? £80 is about €91. The retail prices are €24 for the 75cl tawny and €32 for the Crusted (so €56 in total). Whilst they don’t sell the 1992 QdAA; the 2003 QdG is €75 and the 1997 VP is €110. It just feels like this box is much under the retail value which made me worried that they just running out the year, unless they can’t sell the 1992 for the sorts of prices that the younger vintages go for. Or are being extremely generous! I’m crossing my fingers for the latter.
My assumption was always that they were aiming to use port club to drive a lower margin route to market with the online members' portal being closer to retail pricing, with both being probably at a better profit margin than selling via importers etc where at least 2 layers of businesses are taking a cut before you get to the customer. I doubt they're selling anything at a loss. Maybe the subscription will go up over time but only if they are seeing big numbers in terms of uptake.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

rich_n wrote: 00:18 Fri 05 May 2023My assumption was always that they were aiming to use port club to drive a lower margin route to market with the online members' portal being closer to retail pricing, with both being probably at a better profit margin than selling via importers etc where at least 2 layers of businesses are taking a cut before you get to the customer. I doubt they're selling anything at a loss. Maybe the subscription will go up over time but only if they are seeing big numbers in terms of uptake.
Something which has never been clear to me about the Port Club is why it is being run from Portugal rather than through Festa (aka the Bar Douro bottle shop). I think that is also owned by the Graham family and is also trying to sell Churchill Port to the UK. Perhaps they were hoping to spin one or both businesses off in due course? And I suppose the Bar Douro wine club had similar problems to the Port Club with getting boxes into the UK which may be why they also gave up on their subscription in the end.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

My case still hasn't arrived. Anybody else still waiting?
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

Mine arrived on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Mine arrived last week - Thursday, I think.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Justin K
Niepoort LBV

Post by Justin K »

I got mine 5 weeks ago directly from Portugal so no customs issues.