1970 Graham, Wine Society Bottling versus Oporto Bottling

Anything to do with Port.
jfacciol
Taylor’s LBV

1970 Graham, Wine Society Bottling versus Oporto Bottling

Post by jfacciol »

Does anyone have experience tasting both of these bottlings? Is the Wine Society bottling generally inferior to the Oporto bottling? Full disclosure, I am auctioning of some of both bottlings and the auction house is concerned that the Wine Society bottling is markedly inferior.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 1970 Graham, Wine Society Bottling versus Oporto Bottling

Post by PhilW »

Wine Society port bottlings are generally decent, and I've had no problem with their Graham 1970 so far. Their bottles are on the lighter (colour) side, but so are most of the Oporto-bottled Graham 1970 which I've seen.

Might the auction house be commenting on the group of particular bottles you are offering, with the Wine Society bottled being in poorer condition than the Oporto bottled, rather than it being a general issue?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

PM sent.
Glenn Elliott
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I’ve drunk both Wine Society and Oporto bottled Graham 1970, but far more Oporto bottles. I’ve not experienced any significant difference in the quality of the wines arising from where they were bottled.

In general, I am very happy with Wine Society bottled VP and will happily buy them. The Wine Society is not one of the bottlers I will avoid.

If your auction house of choice lacks this level of knowledge, you might be consider using an alternative.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.