2001 Dow Quinta Senhora da Ribeira

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

2001 Dow Quinta Senhora da Ribeira

Post by rich_n »

One of two bottles of port brought home to share with my dad over Christmas. He's not a big drinker these days (and I knew I would want to partake in beers and wine) so this was planned to last half a week in the decanter for after-dinner drinks.

PnP

Decanted for the following day, but tasted immediately after decanting. Red cherries on the nose, along with anise and a very good milk chocolate. More cherries and liquorice lead the palate along with a punch of spicy white pepper and a luxurious caramel sweetness. Lots of mint kicks in on the mid palate. My dad finds a lot of raspberries. Plenty of eucalyptus late but the finish doesn't last all that long. Very enjoyable immediately, but I'm intrigued to see how it comes on tomorrow.

+24 hours

This is a bit more "grown up" than it was to start with, with eucalyptus and pepper dominating the palate more now. The caramel is there but much more subtle now. Tart red cherries linger and tobacco sits in the mid-palate. The finish is still relatively short. It's a very enjoyable port and the complexity stands up well to other SQVPs, while somewhat short of that of a true vintage.

+2 days

This is softening up into a lovely but less complex port at this point. Very drinkable and will carry us through to the vintage port on Christmas Day.