Wine Aerators

Anything to do with Port.
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Wine Aerators

Post by rich_n »

I regularly use an aerator on red wines because I'm disorganised and tend to open them barely minutes before I want to start consuming them. I'm considering whether this might be an option when late to the party in terms of opening a port.

My thoughts are that vintage ports may well need decanting based on the specific needs that their age bring, but unfiltered LBVs, young crusted ports might benefit from this approach. Has anyone got any experience with this? I did try the 2000 Warre both with and without and found that there were pros and cons - the tannins significantly softened compared to the un-aerated port, but some of the complexity was lost as well.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Wine Aerators

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I’ve never used an aerator so never experienced the effect they create.

I have splash decanted, and also shaken a Port vigorously in a decanter to achieve similar things, but generally I’m happy to let the Port develop in the glass.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by rich_n »

Alex Bridgeman wrote:I’ve never used an aerator so never experienced the effect they create.

I have splash decanted, and also shaken a Port vigorously in a decanter to achieve similar things, but generally I’m happy to let the Port develop in the glass.
That's fair enough, I would still prefer to decant with plenty of time to spare but I'm not always organised enough for that...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I entirely agree with your suggestion. Indeed it is a brilliant plan — magnum split three ways (gently, splash and shake, aerated). Please be encouraged to organise the tasting at which you have subtly hinted.