Porto this weekend

Post your experiences of travel, especially for the Douro region. Make recommendations for places to stay and visit or ask advice from those that have already been there.
M.Charlton
Taylor’s LBV

Porto this weekend

Post by M.Charlton »

I’ll be in Porto this weekend, and I’m looking forward to going to a few of the new(ish) places I’ve not yet tried (incl. The Rebello hotel’s bar/ restaurant and the same over at The Lodge Hotel).
I was wondering if any of you have been to some of the other new (i.e. post 2020) attractions in Porto, and if you think they would be worth a look?
Last edited by M.Charlton on 00:43 Wed 10 Apr 2024, edited 1 time in total.
MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: Porto this weekend

Post by MigSU »

Ah, I'm away this weekend, what a shame.
M.Charlton
Taylor’s LBV

Post by M.Charlton »

Drat! I’ll be over again in Aug/Sept, and possibly Nov too - will hopefully sort something out.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I’m trying to think what’s new since 2020. I stayed at the Lodge a few weeks ago. It was pleasant enough and Alexandra in the bar was keen to share what she knew and to learn more about Port. The 1756 restaurant has a good reputation, but I’ve not eaten there.

I know someone who stayed a couple of nights at the Rabelo, but they weren’t particularly impressed - to the degree that we went back to the Sandeman Hostel where I was staying for a drink, rather than back to the Rabelo.

What else is new? There’s a canned fish shop on the front next to the bacalhao e queijo rissois shop. Not somewhere that really appeals to me.

I think the Atkinson Museum is new, but I’m not sure if it’s open this weekend.

Other than that, I don’t think things have changed a great deal. There’s lots of construction going on, but the new hotels aren’t due to come online until later this year or early next year.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
M.Charlton
Taylor’s LBV

Post by M.Charlton »

Thanks, Alex. Shame that the construction is still ongoing - something to look forward to for future trips, though.