Homemade Port - Should I declare?

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

Homemade Port - Should I declare?

Post by Sideways »

I have recently bottled my first homemade port, Elderberry (with a little blackberry for backbone).

All from a single estate (field) close to where I live. The fruit was picked in September '05, the resulting table wine was bottled in May '06.

I opened five bottles in Oct'07, returned the wine to a Demijohn, sweetened (concentrated red grape juice), fortified with a decent brandy and sealed (not the traditional method I know but I prefer to think of myself as a maverick). The port was oaked with French oak chips for three weeks. I bottled at the weekend.

It tastes pretty good, very young though. Needs two years at least, should be great in five+. I plan to start another two gallon this weekend.

You may begin the EP bidding now. :wink:
Vintage Shmintage.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I bid that Sideways attend an Off-line soon and bring along a bottle for us all to taste :D
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

I would suggest the following master plan:

Firstly: try to persuade the Portugese embassy to built an outpost at your field, then it is officially Portugal.

Secondly: Write a letter to the Marques de Pombal asking him kindly to think over his demarkation plan again with the suggestion that a little exclave at your field would be perfect.

Thirdly: Send some samples to the IVDP and wait for their answer.

It might sound a little weird, but fullfill the regs.

If you suceed in all this, I will post an offer.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Sideways »

Derek T. wrote:I bid that Sideways attend an Off-line soon and bring along a bottle for us all to taste :D
I will do you the honour one day but I cannot be held responsible for the destruction of your existing cellar, should you have a road to Damascus moment after sampling this truly great wine.
Vintage Shmintage.
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Sideways »

Axel P wrote:I would suggest the following master plan:

Firstly: try to persuade the Portugese embassy to built an outpost at your field, then it is officially Portugal.

Secondly: Write a letter to the Marques de Pombal asking him kindly to think over his demarkation plan again with the suggestion that a little exclave at your field would be perfect.

Thirdly: Send some samples to the IVDP and wait for their answer.

It might sound a little weird, but fullfill the regs.

If you suceed in all this, I will post an offer.

Axel
What, and have loads of Port anoraks on wine tours traipsing through my beloved fields? No thanks. :wink:
Vintage Shmintage.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Homemade Port - Should I declare?

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Sideways wrote:I have recently bottled my first homemade port, Elderberry...
If I recall correctly, there was a scandal around a century and a half ago, where the port producers were accused of adding elderberry juice to their ports to give them more colour and depth.

Perhaps you could market your port as "Traditional Victorian Port"
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

I think its the baga-scandal. Well acutally this could be a new post.

Since Mayson did write an article about it in Port and the douro: has anyone ever seen any signs of the use of elderberry. Since prices are skyhigh in the Douro valley for elderberries this wouldnt be too amazing, would it?

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Sideways »

Perhaps there is an opportunity to establish fortified elderberry wine as a UK speciality, the fruit seems to enjoy our climate.

I intend to make more later this year, only this time I will stop the fermentation properly, as apposed to back-sweetening existing wine I have no plan to drink.
Vintage Shmintage.