1966 Kopke Colheita (bottled 2007)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

1966 Kopke Colheita (bottled 2007)

Post by Roy Hersh »

1966 Kopke Colheita Port â€‟ this was bottled in 2007, a very fresh bottle. With Todd Cromwell at the Iris Grill, Issaquah, WA. Dark maple in color with fragrant whiffs of honey, caramel, a gentle spirit note and hazelnut which was gorgeous. Nicely evolved flavors and at the age where Colheita really starts to take on great secondary Tawny notes that I really enjoy. I am not a huge fan of young Colheitas and believe they require 30 years to start to show their greatness. Back to the 1966, a year in which Kopke released a Vintage Port & Colheita from the same harvest; this is a rarity! Medium-bodied, soft and sumptuous with a silky elegance that I love in top Colheitas with age. Bright acidity provided the requisite balance for this Kopke and it showed an off-dry style which worked well and played out more significantly on the long and unrelenting finish. 94 points 4-22-08