1970 Gonzalez Byass

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1970 Gonzalez Byass Vintage Port

Post by DRT »

Emergency decanted through Jdaw-supplied coffee filter and collapsable funnel travel kit.

Decanted 1 Hour
Smell of caramel when decanting but has now developed a little heat on the nose. Nice bright transparent ruby red with thick tears on the glass. Medium weight & smooth. Red cherry and strawberry flavours then a quick burst of heat which gently fades to a long anicede finish. No tannins to speak of and this seems to be either at or past its peak. I don't think it has many years left before it would start to fade but is a very nice glass of port right now, especially as it cost me just a little more than nothing :wink:

I will score later tonight or perhaps tomorrow as I put half of this in the fridge at decanting time.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

especially as it cost me just a little more than nothing
I wonder why.. :D

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

uncle tom wrote:
especially as it cost me just a little more than nothing
I wonder why.. :D

Tom
Because I know the only Reputable Wine Merchant in the land (or at least the only one who can use that description without it being an oxymoron) :lol:
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The second half of the bottle was decanted for 3 hours this evening.

No change whatsoever from last night. A perfectly respectable wine with nice fruit levels and a nice long finish. It isn't going anywhere as stated last night so for long term potential it scores below the median. For current drinking it is slightly above average so I give it a score of 6-3

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

GB70

Post by jdaw1 »

Never had a GB, and it sounds interesting. To be included in the eventual 1970 horizontal.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: GB70

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Never had a GB, and it sounds interesting. To be included in the eventual 1970 horizontal.
I have more and so does my favourite Wine Merchant so it will definitely be there.
Ernest H. Cockburn