Quinta do Javali

Anything to do with Port.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Quinta do Javali

Post by RonnieRoots »

Back in the Netherlands I used to be the importer of the wines and port of this quinta, but since I am no longer involved in that business, I feel free to post some information on this quinta.

First some pictures.

The view from Quinta do Javali is arguably on of the best in the Douro:

The quinta as seen from the train:

Owner and winemaker José António Mendes taking a sample from one of the barrels:

Extra information:
Quinta do Javali is located at one of the most remote spots in the Douro, near S. Joao d. Pesqueira, on the border of the Cima Corgo with the Douro Superior.

José António Mendes and his wife bought the 18ha property in 1985. There was nothing on it back then. So he built 12ha of vineyard and a quinta. All the vines were planted in 1986. He sold the grapes to Taylor until 2000, and since then sold the wines under his own label. He produces both table wines and port wines. All the wines of Javali are characterised by a strong tannin structure and almost delicate fruit flavours. The table wines need a bit of age to come around, the 2003 Reserva is lovely now. The top wine is a Grande Escolha (first produced in 2004). That is very much worth seeking out.

Port wines produced: Tawny, 10 Year Old Tawny, Ruby Reserve, LBV, Vintage Port. The only VP so far is the 2004. LBV's on the market are 2001, 2002 and 2003. Everything is unfiltered (meaning that even the ruby has a good ageing potential) and farming is done organic as much as possible, although not certified as such.

The production is very small, mostly about 6000-7000 bottles per type of wine. The latest bottling of 10YOT was only 700 bottles! (It's very good!)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Thanks for the information Ronnie - I have added this to the Index.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn