Early Warning!!! OffLine at Conkys Quinta.

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Early Warning!!! OffLine at Conkys Quinta.

Post by Conky »

Remarkably, The Gorgeous Deborah only sighed when I suggested a late Summer Off Line at our house. So its on. :twisted:
We'd probably only stretch to half a dozen Port drinkers, but I can supply the venue and a few bottles. Anyone is welcome, and Derek will confirm that sadly the beds are dodgey. There's always a few Hotels nearby, but if you do that you'll miss out on the Greasy Mixed Grill, the morning after. Best Hangover cure I know! Dates and details to follow, if the interest is out there.

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I'm in - an I bag the first dodgy bed :wink: (as you know I am highly unlikely to make it to a hotel :roll: )

Is this a Porthead n Partners deal or just a group of Portheads getting geeky?

Derek

PS: I can vouch for Debs tollerance of drunk men (apart from Alan) and her fabulous breakfasts 88)
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I was thinking just Port Heads, at the moment, but if there's a lack of interest, we can always reconsider.

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

OK - you've got me excited now :D

Food - can I suggest we keep it simple? - a few big steaks on a BBQ and a ton of oven chips 88) - mixed cheese to follow with some chocolate for those with a sweet tooth.

Now I'll have to think up some themes for the port - no chance of sleeping tonight now that I've got work to do :lol:

Derek
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

If it's just Portheads I could probably make it, but it's also possible if it included partners.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Well a plan is begining to emerge! We'll set off working on us three and seeing if any others bite. If not we can always make it us three and better halves. So now we've got an idea on formation and steaks, do you think someone should have a casual glance at the Port side of things? :lol:

Alan
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Placemat request

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1339#1339]Here[/url] Derek T. wrote:jdaw1 - we need placemats sometime soon - wines t.b.c.

Derek

...and get looking for cheap flights to blighty 88)
Hmmm. If the date is exactly right in early September, I might be in the UK anyway. Whatever, when things are decided I will of course oblige in my usual manner. In the list of people include all the ‘possibles’: unused placesettings don’t have to be printed.
Last edited by jdaw1 on 00:21 Tue 03 Jul 2007, edited 1 time in total.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

On the port, and the outdoor summer BBQ theme, I would suggest we keep it simple and not go for classics which would be watsed, mainly due to the temperature.

I have some Colhieta's that could do with an airing and we could do an off year horizontal - I have a flight of 75's that would do the trick.

Crack out the whiteboards, post-it-notes, marker pens, blue-sky thinking, out-of-the-box attitudes and get brainstorming guys :wink:

Maybe we need an offline break-out session in the next few weeks to discuss the options?

Derek
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

....and can we get some Cabana's, Cohiba's-shomiba's or whatever they are called 88)
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Right now the dates wide open. I was thinking more August, but if it suits Julian, it wouldn't be the end of the World to fit in with him in September. Lots to work out. Lets just keep open minds and try to be all-inclusive. Derek, your definately Head of Logistics! :lol:

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Conky wrote: Derek, your definately Head of Logistics! :lol:
Can I wear a badge with Head of Logistics on it? (and get jdaw1 to add it to my name on my placemat 88) )

Derek

PS: If it means we can have jdaw1 along September does for me, but we would need a filler between now and then :?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Saturday 1st September 2007

Post by jdaw1 »

OK, Her Indoors has spoken, and if it’s the weekend of Saturday 1st September, plans could be fitted. Gentlemen: don’t suffer major life rearrangement just for me, but if it’s all the same to you, it wouldn’t be for me.

†  This is making various assumptions about flights, not yet tested. And having somewhere to stay for ≥2 nights. Please confirm that Manchester airport is the nearest; that I can park a rental car near you; that I’ll have somewhere to sleep; that I don’t have to try to smuggle port through airport security (I’ll pay my share, but can’t bring it); errr, that’s all for now.

Names on mats:
  • JDAW
  • The Gorgeous Deborah
  • Derek T., CLO
  • Conky
  • KillerB
Ports:
  • Taylor 1945 (bottled by Justerinis);
  • Taylor 1945 (bottled by A&N Stores);
  • Graham 1945 (Oporto);
  • Fonseca 1945 (Oporto);
  • Taylor 1948
  • Graham 1948;
  • Fonseca 1948.
Jay P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Jay P »

Where is "Sunny St.Helens, England"? Is it anywhere near Heathrow?

Jay
Better things for better living through chemistry
Todd P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Todd P »

Certainly sounds like quite the offline gentlemen. I am sad to say that unless one of two events occurs, I will send my regrets.

Those two events being:
1. Win a lottery
2. Get sent somewhere close to St Helens by my job. (Frankly I give the lottery better odds!)

Todd
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Jay P wrote:Where is "Sunny St.Helens, England"? Is it anywhere near Heathrow?

Jay
Jay,

Sunny St Helens is midway between Manchester and Liverpool and probably 2 to 3 hours drive from Heathrow. I think Heathrow to Manchester is possible by air and could probably be tagged on as a connection to your flight from the States.

Oh, and the "Sunny" bit is a joke - it rains over there on 345 out of 365 days per year :?

Derek
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

If we take average rainfall and divide the amount of rainfall this year by the average then it has been raining for 385 days so far this year.

1945 was an off-year then?

I have no 75s but do have 80s.

St Helens? Isn't that on the outskirts of Skelmersdale?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Saturday 1st September 2007

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:

1. if it’s the weekend of Saturday 1st September, plans could be fitted.

2. I’ll pay my share, but can’t bring it

3. Ports:
  • Taylor 1945 (bottled by Justerinis);
  • Taylor 1945 (bottled by A&N Stores);
  • Graham 1945 (Oporto);
  • Fonseca 1945 (Oporto);
  • Taylor 1948
  • Graham 1948;
  • Fonseca 1948.
1. seems fine to me

I can't reconcile statements 2 and 3 :?

Derek
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I'll speak to Debs and try to confirm the 1st Sept.
Jay, Flights come in from anywhere to Manchester. It is the Countries second biggest Airport. Thats about 20 miles from me.
Yes the weathers crap. I'll book a late Summer Evening though, with the Big Fella, he owes me one after the Ex-wives he sent me! :D
JDaw1s Port suggestion certainly grabs the attention!
Todd, dont give up quite yet. Try to see the price of flights for tomorrow as a test run. I'm told there are some remarkable bargains for last minute deals. If you were in the mood and had your bag packed, set yourself a limit on a return flight for a couple of days. An keep everything crossed. I'd make housing you a priority for a few nights to cut down your costs. (Derek can have the Couch! :D )

And lastly....NO, we are not on the outskirts of Skelmersdale!!! (Whatever the map says! :D )

Alan.

PS. I now need a few days to butter Debs up, and buy her a frock or two. The price of keeping her sweet scares me more than the Port! Still sounding like a Plan though!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Conky wrote: Derek can have the Couch! :D
My usual chair on the patio wil do fine - please just remember to put the cigar out before I set myself alight :shock:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

the importance of grabbing somewhere to sleep

Post by jdaw1 »

OK. Clearly I’m failing to understand the importance of grabbing somewhere to sleep. My previous night will have been spent in an economy-class seat next to a wailing brat. How do I ensure that I get somewhere to sleep.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Firstly, dont worry. For the night of the Tasting, we have three spare beds, plus 3 couches and some put up beds if required. I'll be very dissapointed if you all dissappear to a Hotel at 10pm. Unless you leave all your Port behind! :twisted:
The important thing is to find out if you can make it, and organise travel plans, without paying the earth. If you are keen for a Hotel, try this or this.
The first is a decent Hotel 15mins away in a taxi, the second is a clean Pub 500yards away. So to summarise, although I live in a 1930's type large Semi, with a couple of spare bedrooms, I would try to house you all at mine, definately for the main night. But options are there for everyones taste and budget.

Alan
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Please PM me your email address

Post by jdaw1 »

Conky: please PM me your email address so that I can cc you on flight-plan emails (which will have to go to family as well).
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Right then, Debs is playing a remarkable Straight Bat. She's happy for it to go ahead, whilst suggesting she might expect the odd luxury out of that months wage packet(She's got me there :roll: ), plus horrific suggestions about redecorating bedrooms(No Chance! :twisted: )

With that result. I'm going to have to wait a week before even entertaining the thought of the London one with Ronnie. Anyone out there have Henry Kissingers Mobile Number?

So we can tentitively start making plans. Which 45's might be in my price range??? That means, not in the hundreds of pounds bracket? Where's that WineSearcher button. 88)

Alan
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

£

Post by jdaw1 »

Transporting bottles would be a nightmare for me. But I do insist on contributing a fair proportion of the pictures of Her Majesty.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I have had it reported to me that St Helens is to the north of the Rivers Thames and Severn. That being the case I doubt I will be able to make it. Believe it or not, its easier for me to get a pass for a trip to Seattle than it is to get a pass to travel to St Helens!

Alex