1979 Graham Malvedos

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

1979 Grahams Malvedos

Post by Axel P »

Out of a half bottle.

A very seducive red colour with some brown hints, this wine cannot hide its age. As Grahams bottled their VP in fairly transparent green bottles the hughe ammount of sediment is visible. Good concentration and structure.

Directely after opening the wine showed a fruity bouquet, which kind of closed afte about 30 minutes breathing. It then became more spicy and initially reminded me of the Taylors 80, that I had with AHB a long time ago.

Now (after 4 hrs) it passed this phase as well and appears to be a very nice, totally integrated VP. Nice fruity hints with some chocolate somewhere back.

Do not miss!

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Axel,

Your recommendation was too good to resist so I have just opened one of these myself 88)

Precisely the same colour, sediment and nose as you describe above. The colour is glorious - very bright. A typical mature Graham's plummy taste but slightly lighter mouthfeel than I would normally associate with a Malvedos. Perhaps it will put on weight as the hours go by.

Nice stuff :wink:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn