1994 Smith Woodhouse

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

1994 Smith Woodhouse

Post by Axel P »

Right after opening the bottle I was quite disappointing: the wine appeared to be very flat, the nose very closed with a strong raisinish character. The good, very deep red colour promised a lot though.

After 2 hours almost no change, maybe a little more fruity, but the nose was still not good enough for a 94 VP.

After 3,5 hrs it starts to open up. The color is darker than before, the nose fairly fruity with rasberry and black currant. There is a medicinic note underneath, which is not too pleasant and will hopefully go away. On the palate the wine is very smooth, although the alcohol is totally not integrated, which gives the wine a very sharp background. The tannins are much more integrated. Nice sweetness and a good concentration. Averagely long aftertaste.

5 hrs after decanting the fruitiness showes up even more, but still: the alcohol is still too sharp on the palate: will it ever totally integrate?
If so this wine will be very pleasant to drink in 5-10 years, but will not be one for the ages as some of his bigger brothers (Dows, Grahams, Vesuvio).

Axel
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I've had the SW'94 on a couple of occasions recently. One bottle I found to be exactly as Axel describes above - quite disappointing.

By contrast, the other was very impressive, a very different wine. Elegant and light bodied, the second bottle was full of fruit and tannin with a very long aftertaste.

I haven't yet decided what to make of this wine.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Frederick Blais »

I got this 2 weeks ago and was very disapointed to have bought this wine. The clerk was trying to convince me that it was a great wine in a great vintage but then I told him he was looking too close at vintage index :)

It was thin, evolved, dry and unbalanced. It had been decanted for 3 hours.

Serve beside, the Madalena 1995 was an exquisite port! I now feel bad about my remaining SW in the cellar, I just don't know what to do with them :oops:
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Frederick Blais wrote: I just don't know what to do with them :oops:
Frederick, I do not want to sneer at you. But did you ever make wild pig goulash with Port? That's a culinary rocket! Not the worst thing to make with a disappointing port.
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Frederick Blais »

I did opened SW Vintage 1994 Today. Gratfully the 94 I tasted back in November was probably and early evolving bottle. Though the one I had today was fresh and young on the nose, it was overipe and short on the palate. The wine is clear ruby showing little tawny edges. The nose is really atractive with scents of flowers, ripe cherries and field berries. On the palate though, it is totally different with low acidity, melted tannins, high sugar sensation with over ripe plums flavors. The palate is balanced though leading to a ripe fruits and cinamon finish. Enjoyable port that should be at its peak in 5 years. 16/20