NV Ramos Pinto Lagrima White

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

NV Ramos Pinto Lagrima White

Post by JacobH »

After the recent discussion about the Cockburn's Lacrima Christi 1974, when I saw this in Nicholas yesterday, I though I'd see what it was like. Also, the weather was fine, so White Port seemed appropriate. Of course, it's now raining :roll:

I've had a couple of glasses so far, one last night at room temperature and one with lunch which had been refrigerated. The latter is certainly the way to go with this.

In the decanter, the Port is a light golden colour, similar to a non-colour-enhanced brandy. Once in the glass (especially chilled), it is significantly lighter; straw-like but with enough viscosity to show that it is not a standard white wine.

Non-refrigerated, the nose is horrific. It reminds me of those very cheap, sweet Chardonnays, and is completely overpowering. In the mouth, there is a hit of the cheap Chardonnay, accompanied by a lot of spirit, before a long finish of lychees and vanilla takes over.

Cool, it is a different story. The nose is much more subdued, and the scent is now more reminiscent of Champagne. In the mouth, there a little spirit (perhaps a little too much for my liking) before the same long finish of lychees and vanilla.

What I particularly like about this is that it is still very obviously Port: the flavours are bold and full, with an acceptable but not overpowering amount of sugar. I think a little tweaking of the blend might help the immediate first taste on the palate and perhaps it could do with a little less alcohol (say from 19.5% to 19%) but it certainly doesn't suffer from either being insipid (which I gather is a general problem with white Ports) nor being too sweet (which, again, I gather can be a problem with the Lagrima style).

I can't see myself drinking it very often, but if I were arranging a garden party or something similar, I could certainly see a bottle being acquired.

-Jacob
Rubby
Fonseca LBV

Post by Rubby »

Thanks for the TN. Sounds quite positive (for a white Port).
I've got a bid on mentioned Cockburn's but didn't get a reaction from the seller yet.
Frequently Ask Questions