1970 Quinta do Noval

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1970 Quinta do Noval

Post by DRT »

Decanted cleanly off a well formed crust that, along with the dregs, went into a slendid Spag Bol :D

+8 Hours
Dark red/brown colour, a distinctive shade which I am starting to think is typical of mature Noval VPs. Closest match I can see is :990066:

Spice on the nose with a very small amount of spirit. Nice thick and smooth texture. Stewed fruits, coffee and then quite hot after a few seconds. This fades slowly into a long mouthwatering caramel finish.

The heat is quite a distraction to the overall impression this wine leaves behind so I will save most of it until tomorrow to see if it integrates.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

+32 Hours
Unfortunately the heat is even more evident now. The mouthfeel is thicker and the colour darker but the flavours are totally overpowered by alcohol. :cry:

Will keep some for tomorrow and try again.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've heard mixed reviews about this, most not favorable. I've only had it once earlier this year and the bottle was decent. the major drawback was the heat on it, which never did totally integrate. The rest of your note was pretty close to being spot on with mine.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I consumed a bottle from the same case last September.

Was not hugely wowed, giving it a 4-3 score, but noted that 'it transformed itself between 24 & 48 hours'

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

+56 Hours
More coffee in the initial taste tonight and the fire is not so hot as before but still dominates. The finish is still long but now slightly bitter at the end. Probably the best of the three tastings but not a great VP. The remainder will accompany some cheese :wink:

Score: 3-3

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Jdaw,

exactly my impression when I had it together with the Noval 63. I was not impressed of both wines leading to not buying Novals for a couple of years in the past.

Of course the younger years are better, but they should have been able to produce better wines in these years since many winemakers said: "everyone can produce a good port in years like 63, 70 and 94".

Axel

P.S.: How did your lecture go?
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Axel,

Jdaw didn't post the above TN, I did :wink:

Are you still drunk on 1980 VP? :lol:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Good hint,

I still got a hangover from the hagges.

Thanks a lot for preparing it so nicely. My dad was very jealous, because he likes that stuff as well.

axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com