1994 Tesco

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1994 Tesco

Post by DRT »

1994 Tesco VP (Symington)
Purchased this week on offer at a little over £10 per bottle after taking various discounts into account. This bottle was opened 48 hours ago during a rather late night and in a state of cronic insobriety. No note taken at the time but I vaguely remember declaring "this is very nice".

Tonight: Very dark purple/red. A nice soft fruity nose that filled the room as I poured into the glass. Good thick tears. Thick mouthfeel that is beautifully soft and luxurious. A little heat comes and then fades quickly leaving a long mouthwatering finish of dark cherries. Lots of tannin and bitter chocolate in the second mouthfull make me think this will go on improving for many years to come.

I'm glad I bought 12 :wink:

I wonder what this is? The 1995 has "Quarles Harris" in small letters on the front label but this is just noted as "Bottled and Shipped by Symington Family Estates". Does anyone have a close enough contact at Symington to ask the question?

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

I was just debating buying a few more of these! If you order online they are around GBP12 at normal price. If you have a discount code, please do share it if you can!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

benread wrote:I was just debating buying a few more of these! If you order online they are around GBP12 at normal price. If you have a discount code, please do share it if you can!
Ben,

Unfortunately, I don't have a discount code. I liberated a few of Jo's Tesco Clubcard Vouchers before hitting the local stores - I'm sure she will understand that it made sense if she ever realises they're gone :wink:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

I picked up just another two, along with two 1996 Vargellas (the rest were 1998 and I have 6) and two Taylor 10yot: not my favourite by a very long way but £12 a time, it's fair enough and I needed more tawny.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote:...along with two 1996 Vargellas ...
I managed to pick up 5 of the Vargellas 96's. Working in the discounts I think I probably got these for around £15 each. I noticed one in my local store tonight amongst a bunch of 98s - I pushed it to the back of the shelf and will return with fingers crossed and a £6 Clubcard Voucher tomorrow :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Derek T. wrote:I wonder what this is? The 1995 has "Quarles Harris" in small letters on the front label but this is just noted as "Bottled and Shipped by Symington Family Estates". Does anyone have a close enough contact at Symington to ask the question?
You can always ask this to Johnny Symington through his Q&A section on The Vintage Port Site. I'm sure he'll be able to answer or point you in the direction of someone who knows.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Derek T. wrote:I wonder what this is? The 1995 has "Quarles Harris" in small letters on the front label but this is just noted as "Bottled and Shipped by Symington Family Estates". Does anyone have a close enough contact at Symington to ask the question?
You can always ask this to Johnny Symington through his Q&A section on The Vintage Port Site. I'm sure he'll be able to answer or point you in the direction of someone who knows.