1970 Offley

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1970 Offley

Post by uncle tom »

1970 Offley Boa Vista vintage port
First bottle out of an owc bought a couple of years ago. Bottle selected for being the only one not to have a level in neck.

Hard on the heels of a Graham '77, the glorious colour of this wine showed up the paleness of the '77. Indeed, this is every bit as dark as the Taylor '85 I had a week ago.

Decanted last night.

Sipping the dregs before dumping them in the cooking, all seemed well.

+ 4 hrs - a nightcap.

Superb rich ruby colour in the glass, with clear meniscus, but on the nose, a problem; a strong note of varnish...

On the palate however, there was no defect, a little bit hot, but otherwise a rich fruity wine.

Smelling the decanter this morning I got a full whiff of fruit, but no varnish...

More anon

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Well, the varnish didn't go away; indeed, if you looked closely, it was possible to see an oil like film covering part of the surface of the wine, the next time I poured a glass.

After a couple of days the wine began to deteriorate, and now, supping the last glass, it is quite fiery, although the varnish has finally gone.

Duff wine or duff bottle? I don't know. I chose the bottle because it had a VTS level, unlike all the others which had levels in neck.

I hope it's just a duff bottle, as the wine is otherwise well extracted, and barely mature. No doubt all will be revealed in due course..!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill