1991 Rozes LBV (unfiltered)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Rubby
Fonseca LBV

1991 Rozes LBV (unfiltered)

Post by Rubby »

Bottled in 1997. Unfiltered.

decant +2:
Tiny amount of very fine sediment. Opaque with brick red rim. Atractive nose of mainly red berries, some red apple and a tiny amount of raisins and almond. On the palette again mainly red berries and a hint of marzipan. Long delicious aftertaste. No tannins.

decant +18:
Still holding up. It has turned a bit more dry though. A tiny amount of hazelnut has come into the palette, which I never tasted before in an LBV!

Very nice LBV.
Frequently Ask Questions
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

I like the Rozes LBVs a lot. They are fairly expensive, but worth every penny. The difference to the Vintage Ports of Rozes is not that big, though.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Axel, it's interesting that you say that about their LBVs. Rozès seem to have an unusual pricing policy, with their VPs being quite cheap and the LBVs relatively expensive (so there is little difference in price between the two). I suppose it might be a reflection of Port tastes in France.

Anyway, thanks for the note, Rubby. I think I've seen this for sale in Nicolas and might now pick up a bottle!
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Jacob,

that's the same in Germany. The LBVs are on the top end of the pricing level (but on the top end of the quality level as well) and the VPs are on the very cheap side and only slight aspects better than the LBVs.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Germany is not the main market for Rozès, but France and BeNeLux. Some years ago I purched the 1995 Rozès LBV for about 13 EUR in France- a decent price IMO.

Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Rozes has also been trying to break into the US market recently.

Their unfiltered LBVs can be quite good, and the 1994 is just now starting to come together into a really nice bottle. Their VPs are still not up to par and Axel is spot on with his comments here...
The LBVs are on the top end of the pricing level (but on the top end of the quality level as well) and the VPs are on the very cheap side and only slight aspects better than the LBVs.