2002 Taylor LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
benread
Niepoort 1977

2002 Taylor's LBV

Post by benread »

Opened and tasted with no decanting time. This is described as "Bottled in 2007 by Quinta and Vineyard Bottlers, Vinhos SA, Oporto".

Not much nose. Very dark ruby red colour. Pleasant enough to drink but nothing exciting. The bottle will get finished though! It will be interesrting to see what happens to this over time. Right now, bland is a word that comes to mind!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Ben,

I once had a bottle of the TLBV2001 that was similarly bland. I put it in the fridge and it was very much more pleasurable when chilled.

You could pour out a glass or two and chill them for 30 minutes or so and report back?

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
morteno
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by morteno »

Bland, I agree. I had it a few weeks ago and had I not seen the label, I might have guessed it was a ruby :roll:. As Derek suggests, it does get better when chilled a bit.

I don't think it would by an LBV from Taylor again. I rather buy a good ruby at a price less tha this LBV or e.g. an unfiltered LBV for a little more.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

morteno wrote:Bland, I agree. I had it a few weeks ago and had I not seen the label, I might have guessed it was a ruby :roll:. As Derek suggests, it does get better when chilled a bit.

I don't think it would by an LBV from Taylor again. I rather buy a good ruby at a price less tha this LBV or e.g. an unfiltered LBV for a little more.
I am converted to unfiltered LBV's! I would not buy a filtered LBV myself again.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Ben, did this improve much with time in the decanter? I seem to remember my last Taylor LBV getting a bit better with time.

I'm not sure of the year though: I had thought that I’d only had 2001 on a couple of occasions, though my notes tell me I’ve actually had the 2000 and 2002.
TBird
Fonseca LBV

Re: 2002 Taylor's LBV

Post by TBird »

2002 Taylor (Fladgate) Porto Late Bottled Vintage

$16.99(duty free)

chocolate raspberry flavours with ripe raisin nose. tasting quite alcoholic & hot, but this is pop and pour, will observe for a few hours.
you've got a friend in cheeses