2001 Graham LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

2001 Graham LBV

Post by JacobH »

This LBV is filtered and packaged with a T-Cork. The colour is a deep purple, which remains translucence through to the centre.

The first couple of glasses, last night, were not terribly impressive. Indeed, I was wondering why Axel and Alex were so keen on this and the 2000. However, at 24 hours, it seems to have picked up a lot, especially as the overpowering spirit has blown off.

The nose is faint but with a little raspberry and perhaps some other Summer fruits. In the mouth, it is pretty smooth, with some blackberries and dark chocolate. It’s quite tannic. The sugar is understated and not particularly interesting but that’s not a big problem.

I picked this up as an emergency purchase at Sainsbury’s yesterday. It was pretty cheap: I think about £8 or £9. Certainly it is worth picking up at that price though I can’t help thinking this would be much improved if they hadn’t filtered it.

-Jacob
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 2001 Graham LBV

Post by DRT »

JacobH wrote:I can’t help thinking this would be much improved if they hadn’t filtered it.
I can't help thinking when the day will come fairly soon when Graham's and Taylor, probably the largest LBV producers for the UK market, will produce an unfiltered version.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

DRT wrote:I can't help thinking when the day will come fairly soon when Graham's and Taylor, probably the largest LBV producers for the UK market, will produce an unfiltered version.
It would be good if they did, although I can’t see it happening with Taylor’s. So much of their marketing (particularly that letter from Alistair Robertson, where he announced the LBV’s “invention†) defines LBV as an unfiltered wine. It would be a huge u-turn for them, though perhaps one of the other TFP shippers might change first.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

JacobH wrote:
DRT wrote:I can't help thinking when the day will come fairly soon when Graham's and Taylor, probably the largest LBV producers for the UK market, will produce an unfiltered version.
It would be good if they did, although I can’t see it happening with Taylor’s. So much of their marketing (particularly that letter from Alistair Robertson, where he announced the LBV’s “invention†) defines LBV as an unfiltered wine. It would be a huge u-turn for them, though perhaps one of the other TFP shippers might change first.
Hmmm? Perhaps thy will wait until after they release their first Colheita? :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

DRT wrote:Hmmm? Perhaps thy will wait until after they release their first Colheita? :wink:
I seem to have read somewhere that they have a pipe of 1934. Perhaps that will be released in 2034 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Chip-Dry White!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

JacobH wrote:
DRT wrote:Hmmm? Perhaps thy will wait until after they release their first Colheita? :wink:
I seem to have read somewhere that they have a pipe of 1934. Perhaps that will be released in 2034 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Chip-Dry White!
That is indeed an event worth celebrating. It must have been the same year that Airport Duty Free shops were invented :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Its interesting that Graham's Six Grapes actually gets the better grapes than their LBV....and Six Grapes is actually right below their VP's in the pecking order for the top grapes. I do wish they would make an unfiltered LBV as even their filtered one is normally quite good and I know an unfiltered one would be even better.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

The closest that I am aware of that Grahams gets to making an unfiltered LBV is their Crusted Port.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Perhaps that will be released in 2034 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Chip-Dry White!
In itself, an eminently missable event - why they foist that evil brew on unsuspecting tourists in their lodge is beyond me.. :x

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

ADV wrote:Its interesting that Graham's Six Grapes actually gets the better grapes than their LBV....and Six Grapes is actually right below their VP's in the pecking order for the top grapes. I do wish they would make an unfiltered LBV as even their filtered one is normally quite good and I know an unfiltered one would be even better.
Their Six Grapes is pretty expensive for a Ruby, so they are squarely aiming it at the premium market. Indeed, I think it even costs more than the LBV, which would explain it getting better grape priority.

-Jacob