1996 Dow Bomfim

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
benread
Niepoort 1977

1996 Dow Quinta do Bomfim SQVP

Post by benread »

Purchased in Tesco's 25% discount offer. Very conscious that at any time now I could be drinking "the port I was drinking when my son was born" so careful to ensure it is something I could come back to! Reviews here suggest it to be a good value port albeit with some time to go - an important consideration if I am to return to this as a reminder over the years! QPR also relevant!

Decanted into a bottle "rinsed" with Delaforce Quinta da Corte 1987 and how different are they! The QDC was a light easy drinking port. The QdB is much darker red and very aromatic - blackcurrant, dark cherries and plums have been mentioned by DRT and RMW and I can see why!

I intend to hit this later tonight, assuming "junior" does not intervene!

My only question - whay do Tesco insist on selling this in a silly wooden presentation case with a plastic lid?
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I like this Port a lot. As a moderately priced SQVP, I think it is a very solid bottle, especially as they seem to have produced enough of it for the Supermarkets to do these discounts.

I am reliably informed by a friend that the best use for those wood/perspex boxes is the storage and display of a model train! In any case, as they do provide some protection for the bottle, they aren’t as useless as those cardboard ones that more and more bottles are coming in. I wish the shippers would stop doing that, especially as the box often has no indication of the Vintage.

-Jacob
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

benread wrote:My only question - whay do Tesco insist on selling this in a silly wooden presentation case with a plastic lid?
Most of the bottles of this I have seen have the standard Dow's black label and no silly box. However, I did buy a six-pack from Tesco Wine Club a few months ago and they had the cream and gold label and silly box. They seem to have been packaged to commemorate the Tercentinary of the shipper, presumably in the hope that in 2006 thousands of port lovers would flock to buy some. Strangely, most of the ones in silly boxes now seem to be sold at a heavy discount :D - isn't it great when the marketing men lose :lol:
JacobH wrote:I am reliably informed by a friend that the best use for those wood/perspex boxes is the storage and display of a model train!
Ermm? No. The best use for OWCs of any kind, apart from the obvious, is to use them as fuel on a garden fire. They burn very quickly and very hot and a fantastic for bringing a fire back from the brink on death. This is best done on a summer evening with a glass or two of port and a wooden stick with which a gentleman can poke his fire.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

DRT wrote:Ermm? No. The best use for OWCs of any kind, apart from the obvious, is to use them as fuel on a garden fire. They burn very quickly and very hot and a fantastic for bringing a fire back from the brink on death. This is best done on a summer evening with a glass or two of port and a wooden stick with which a gentleman can poke his fire.
That would work, as long as the glass or two of port doesn’t result in the perspex being left in the box when it is immolated...
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

At +24 hours this has improved dramatically - smoother and very nice. Probably what i would describe as a "DRT" port - one for the winter. Given the awful weather right now, perfect! This will not last tonight!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

Re: 1996 Dow Quinta do Bomfim SQVP

Post by angeleyes »

benread wrote:My only question - whay do Tesco insist on selling this in a silly wooden presentation case with a plastic lid?
I've found them useful just this Sunday to start growing this year's batch of leeks and herbs! They fit about 10 of those fibre seed pots 88)
Mark