2004 Quinta do Noval

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

2004 Noval Vintage Port

Post by Frederick Blais »

This bottle was opened with Luc side by side with Niepoort 2003 : viewtopic.php?t=1839

I really wanted to have this bottle since I got it in my cellar as I did not have the chance to taste it in the Douro. Still Luc never had such a young VP so it would be interesting to compare it with another young VP.

Since Axa acquisition, I can testimony that Noval is really working hard to get top of the line VP done with their fruit. They have incredible fruit purity, ripe but working with elegance at the same time trying to keep that peppery tannins impression with no alcool impression as too many does.

The nose is fresh, showing intense notes of blackberries and black cherries with black pepper in the background. The palate, the entry is smooth, supported by rich layers of ripe fruits, tannins are bold yet balanced with good those of the glyceryn texture showing the extraction and the acidity that eventually will take over to lead towards a more red fruits flavours finale with peppery notes coming back. I was really please to see that nervous VP made from Noval that reminded me some other bottle from the 80's having more acidity than many more VP, its great to see some house standing with tradition rather than making rather dull ultra ripe sensation VP in off vintage. 17/20 It only need a back bone to make this bottle getting better ranks.

2 days later, the acidity got tamed a little and the bold dark fruits are emerging with more intense green/black peppers flavours. Compared to Niepoort drank that same night, I would not retract any points to this VP.