2000 Fonseca LBV (unfiltered)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
benread
Niepoort 1977

2000 Fonseca LBV (unfiltered)

Post by benread »

This was originally acquired in anticipation of need for the 1st anniversary on-line. Having been a touch verbose it was not required!

This was bottled in 2006. Having just finished an already open bottle of Taylors LBV (2002) the difference again asks the question - why filtered an LBV?

The Fonseca is a drak red colour ( KillerB take note!) and easy on the nose without being too obvious. There is a fruitiness to it, without it being overly obvious.

This is what I would describe as a good easy drinking port at very good value. I would buy more of it at around £11 per bottle.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2000 Fonseca LBV (unfiltered)

Post by JacobH »

benread wrote:This was bottled in 2006. Having just finished an already open bottle of Taylors LBV (2002) the difference again asks the question - why filtered an LBV?

The Fonseca is a drak red colour ( KillerB take note!) and easy on the nose without being too obvious. There is a fruitiness to it, without it being overly obvious.
The reason for filtering them is that the main shippers think they have a much better chance of selling their Port if they can advertise it as “no sediment† and “no need to decant†. I can imagine that a few producers would be quite keen to produce a filtered VP if they thought they could get away with it. Of course this makes no sense: the phobia of decanting is entirely irrational, especially with an LBV, but such is the nature of the market!

Incidentally, what colour is drak red? :P

-Jacob
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

Just come back to this at +48 hours and if anything it has got better! I have just a glass or so left for tomorrow night.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!