1964 Krohn White Colheita

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1964 Krohn White Colheita

Post by DRT »

"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

No pictures of this bottle were taken.

Post by jdaw1 »

No pictures of this bottle were taken.

My second white colheita, and another great bottle. Very pale, very white. Nosing of a light honey. Almost the Gale's Traditional Set Honey of my childhood (does it still have the same taste?). The soft honey also in the mouth. Later the nose deteriorated, acquiring sourness, but the white honey continued in the mouth. Like the Dalva Golden White colheita, but lighter.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

This was decanted 18 hours prior to the tasting.

A fantasic glass of port that went very well with the seared scallops and cherry tomato starters [JDAW and I agreed that the green leaves on the side of the plate were unnecessary and more than likely poisonous]. Very smooth and refined and a classic colheita taste. Served blind you would never get this as being a white wine.

By far the best white port I have tasted. But I don't count Dalva Golden White 1952 as being white due to it's distinctly brown colour.

Thanks to ADV for giving me this bottle as part of a challenge. We met in Oporto in October 07 and exchanged bottles under the rule that the wine in the bottle had to be older than the recipient and cost less than £30 ($60). I think ADV may have cheated on the price :roll:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:
Thanks to ADV for giving me this bottle as part of a challenge. We met in Oporto in October 07 and exchanged bottles under the rule that the wine in the bottle had to be older than the recipient and cost less than £30 ($60). I think ADV may have cheated on the price :roll:
Just a little :twisted: Glad you enjoyed it. I really like it and it does show best with a very long decant time.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

It was truly a delicious wine to sip with the seared scallops and one which I very much enjoyed. Thank you ADV, who indirectly contributed this wine!

Pale honey colour, very pale green on the rim. The nose is so madeira like - lemon grass and fresh daisies and surprisingly peppery. Sweet in the mouth, delicate and flowery with lots of soft brown sugars. Delicate and lingering aftertaste. A very pleasant wine which went extremely well with the skewered grilled scallops starting course. 90/100.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.