1927 Croft

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1927 Croft

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

70 minutes after decanting this had a centre the colour of blood oranges. Unlike the earlier vintages, this did not have a nose of mandarins but was still very citrus - perhaps satsumas rather than mandarins - and white cherry. Magnificant into the mouth, huge and complex and full of white cherries and yellow damsons. Absolutely massive aftertaste driven by the tannins that were fully integrated into the palate flavours. An unbelievable wine! 10/10 or 97/100.

7 hours after decanting the nose had closed down a little (or my nose was becoming numb?) but the body of this port was still massive and with great texture and huge fruit. Such a complex aftertaste. 96/100. Drunk 9 February 2008.

Edit by jdaw1 in July 2015, adding links to: TPF review thread; FTLoP commentary; FTLoP planning thread; placemats.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1927 Croft

Post by jdaw1 »

1927 Croft: cloudy, and the second-darkest of the old flight (behind the 1920). Hint of stink. AHB rightly said “white cherries†, and after half an hour stink went away to leave faint mandarin. Very sweet in the mouth, and a little heat. Great length. Oranges in the mouth, not mandarins. 7/7.

A married person who I shan’t name said “Scarlett Johansson on my face†, which was taken to be approving, though later telling us that “the difference is now that Scarlett has a yeast infection†. Some people live remarkable olfactory lives!