1945 Morgan

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1945 Morgan

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

This was a bottle acquired from the recent Taylor’s clear out of the old Morgan stocks that came when they acquired the company a short time ago. The bottle was ex-cellars and this tasting note taken 5 hours after decanting.

The colour is surprisingly deep, red centre with some orange at the rim. Less evolved than I was expecting. On the nose this is wonderful, full of candied oranges, marmalade and cloves but a slight hint of alcohol. The sort of nose that can be sniffed all night.

Smooth entry, liquorice and earthy herbs but then the mid-palate explodes into life with raspberry jelly, more liquorice, aniseed and mint. When swallowed the mint surges out and is quickly replaced with Turkish delight that in turn fades away into a delicate chocolate that lasts for over two minutes.

This is a stunning wine that is astonishingly good for the fact that it comes from a shipper that was never in the top category. This is probably one of the top 5 vintage ports that I will drink this year so I will rate it a solid 10 and the good news is that this is not going to fade over the next ten, twenty or probably even thirty years so on Tom’s scale this gets a 10/10. On a 100 point scale this gets 97/100 from this showing. 28 June 2007.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.