2001 Quinta do Crasto LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

2001 Quinta do Crasto LBV

Post by JacobH »

This is unfiltered but has very little sediment.

2+ Hours. On the nose, it is very discrete and perhaps slightly uninteresting (though as I am returning to the red stuff from a tawny/Middle Eastern hiatus, it’s just as likely that I’m not noticing very much about it). In the mouth, this is initially very understated; perhaps slightly watery and without much fruit (although this initial taste is short lived). It is immediately followed by quite a bit of tannins; gently in the mouth and stronger in the throat. Quite pleasant but not the best 2001 LBV I’ve had. Unless this demands a longer decanting time, I think it might benefit from a little more maturity. It’ll be interesting to see what it’s like in a few years’ time.

-Jacob
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: 2001 Quinto do Crasto LBV

Post by benread »

Not seen thsi for sale - where did you purchase it?

I am just tucking in to a Quinta do Noval 2001 LBV. Peppery is the first word that comes to mind.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

benread wrote:Not seen thsi for sale - where did you purchase it?

I am just tucking in to a Quinta do Noval 2001 LBV. Peppery is the first word that comes to mind.
Just a local-ish independent called The Sampler. They are a bit pricey (though have 10% off for a mixed case of six or more) but have a fairly regularly changing selection of bottles from the Portuguese shippers which I like. The service is great, which I appreciate a lot (especially when compared to certain places which treat me like a cider-drinking 17-year-old with fake ID...)
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Forgot to mention, but this does remind me a bit of the 2001 Noval, which is what I was basing my recommendation on for extra age.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I spent last night drinking Tawny so didn’t drink this at 24 hours, which I think would probably be its peak. However, at 48+ its just about holding together and has become a very attractive Port. Little has changed except for a general mellowing. There is now a genuine elegance to this Port which I find quite attractive. I might see if I can find an older vintage for comparison and a possible glimpse into the future, as well as some more of this to put away.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

If you find older vintages for sale at a reasonable price, please do let us know.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I like the Crasto LBV's a lot, and have the idea that they should be capable of ageing pretty well. Never tried it though! Still have one bottle of the 1997 that I probably should leave in the cellar for another 10 years just for the sake of experiment.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

There doesn’t seem to be much older than 2001 on offer from anywhere obvious, though Adnams Cellar and Kitchen (who I have never heard of before) has some 1999 halves for a pretty respectable £5.99 a bottle (+ a fairly stunning £7.50 P&P).
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Adnams are a reputable wine merchant. I buy from them very occasionally, usually when I can collect.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

AHB wrote:Adnams are a reputable wine merchant. I buy from them very occasionally, usually when I can collect.
Thanks for that. Taking a look at their website, it seems they haven’t taken the plunge for a London store:
Adnams wrote:Our very first Cellar & Kitchen Store was, and still is, in the heart of Southwold, a stone's throw away from our brewery and within sling shot distance of the North Sea . From here, we ventured out to Holkham in North Norfolk and then to Woodbridge in Suffolk . We're opening many more stores over the next few years, mostly in the South East, but if you would like a store near you, let us know and we'll see what we can do.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB wrote:Adnams
When they, or indeed anybody else, update their port list, please be encouraged to post in Port for sale by retailer.