1987 Niepoort

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1987 Niepoort vintage port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

From a half bottle. Deep and vibrant red colour. An unusual nose of mint and coriander, with the coriander overwhelming everything else for a while, but it did start to allow other flavours of dusty red cherries come through after some time in the glass. One of the most astonishing changes in smell that I have yet experienced in tasting vintage ports. Dusty red cherries and strawberry jam in the mouth. A nice acidic lemony structure with tannins still present but not dominant. Swallowing releases the alcohol but then the aftertaste of chocolate digestive biscuits steps in and stays for a while. My overall impression of this wine is that it was a little disappointing for a 1987. It is not a strong wine and is in the bottom quartile of VPs I would expect to drink this year, nor do I think it will develop and improve significantly so I rate this as 2/2 on Tom's scale or 87/100.
Last edited by Alex Bridgeman on 21:49 Thu 04 Sep 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: 1987 Niepoort vintage port

Post by RonnieRoots »

From your note, it looks like this suffered a bit from being in half bottle. Normally the Niepoort 1987 is a very solid port for the vintage. I've tasted it 3 or 4 times and it usually scores around 90 points.

BTW, an impressive tasting of Niepoort ports! What was the occasion?
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

I had one of these a little while ago and what was most noticable was the rate at which it faded. It was fabulous and interesting (both nose and taste) when i opened the bottle, but lackluster a few hours later.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

RonnieRoots wrote:From your note, it looks like this suffered a bit from being in half bottle. Normally the Niepoort 1987 is a very solid port for the vintage. I've tasted it 3 or 4 times and it usually scores around 90 points.

BTW, an impressive tasting of Niepoort ports! What was the occasion?
The only occasion was a catching up on notes that I have written but not posted yet!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
ajfeather
Fonseca LBV

Post by ajfeather »

I also polished off a bottle of the Niepoort 1987 recently and I would second AHB comments, strawberry jam mouth and a chocolate digestive aftertaste (I hope everyone knows what chocolate digestives taste like). More alcohol burn than I personally would look for and in the bottom half of port wines I wold drink.