1977 Ferreira

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1977 Ferreira vintage port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Decanted off a large amount of heavy sediment. Very pale in colour when decanted and smelt very spirity. Tasting note written 2½ hours after decanting.

Very pale mahogany red, watery in texture and weak rim. On the nose are cranberries and brown sugar with just a touch of sweet pea perfume. Wonderful sweetness in the mouth, with golden sultanas over the tart dried cranberries. The tartness is lovely and balances out the sweetness of the wine very well. There is so much complexity in the mid-palate that you can hold this wine in your mouth for ages, but eventually you have to swallow. And when you do there is an explosion of flavour which, after a brief flare of heat, works itself into a very long black licorice and aniseed aftertaste. This is very fine and elegant port that is now fully mature. Truly delicious. 93/100. Drunk 29 Aug 08.

Photos will follow when I can access my desktop PC.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: 1977 Ferreira vintage port

Post by benread »

AHB wrote:Decanted off a large amount of heavy sediment. Very pale in colour when decanted and smelt very spirity. Tasting note written 2½ hours after decanting.

Very pale mahogany red, watery in texture and weak rim. On the nose are cranberries and brown sugar with just a touch of sweet pea perfume. Wonderful sweetness in the mouth, with golden sultanas over the tart dried cranberries. The tartness is lovely and balances out the sweetness of the wine very well. There is so much complexity in the mid-palate that you can hold this wine in your mouth for ages, but eventually you have to swallow. And when you do there is an explosion of flavour which, after a brief flare of heat, works itself into a very long black licorice and aniseed aftertaste. This is very fine and elegant port that is now fully mature. Truly delicious. 93/100. Drunk 29 Aug 08.

Photos will follow when I can access my desktop PC.
Was your South African holiday a front for a creative writing course?!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

No - that's a normal tasting note from me!

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB writes the best TNs. Most perceptive palate; and the most comprehensively and elegantly described. His TNs are almost† , but not quite, as much a joy as tasting the port oneself.

†  Allow a little poetic licence. Nothing compares to drinking the port oneself.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

You are very kind. Elegant praise indeed.

Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

jdaw1 wrote:AHB writes the best TNs. Most perceptive palate; and the most comprehensively and elegantly described. His TNs are almost† , but not quite, as much a joy as tasting the port oneself.

†  Allow a little poetic licence. Nothing compares to drinking the port oneself.

Without any doubt. A palate one can rely on. :sun:
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port