1983 Kopke Sao Luiz

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1983 Kopke Sao Luiz

Post by uncle tom »

Three bottles quaffed in close succession, the runts of a large, rough, and very inexpensive litter.

These bottles were more oxidised and developed than I would have normally expected, so an atypical note.

Very similar to Kopke '70 - a full wine with bags of sugar and a deep noble tawny hue that has barely a hint of red. A little VA was noticeable when the wine was first decanted, but this dispersed after a few hours. Most of the last bottle was left in the decanter for a few days while i paced the coastline of north Devon. On my return, I found it noticeably improved.

Sound quaffing juice - score 3-2

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1983 Kopke St Luis vintage port

Post by jdaw1 »

For the purposes of the about-to-be-updated TN index, is there any difference between ‟Kopke St Luis” and plain old ‟Kopke”?
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

For the purposes of the about-to-be-updated TN index, is there any difference between ‟Kopke St Luis” and plain old ‟Kopke”?
As far as I know, no; but it might be worth dropping them an email to ascertain whether all their VP's come from just the one quinta.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

James Suckling, in his book entitled Vintage Port (1990) wrote:The only problem with Kopke vintage ports in recent years is that they sometimes lack the complexity of wines from the major houses like Taylor or Graham. This could be due to Kopke's reliance on Quinta da Santa Luiz, where a large part of the Barros group Ports is made. "Kopke is normally sold as a single-quinta wine" said Barros...A selection of the estate's best wines in a particular year go into the Kopke vintage blend. The Kopke vintage Ports may or may not be labeled Quinta da Santa Luiz.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Tom: please could you email me or post a picture of the label?
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I always found it very confusing. I've seen Kopke 1985 bottled both as straight "Kopke" and as "Kopke Quinta S. Luiz". I asked the Dutch importer if there was any difference. They said "no". But still, there was a notable difference between the two bottles, the regular "Kopke" being the better by far...
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Well I had this experience myself with the 2005 Krohn Single Quinta "Bom Retiro" and the regular VP. Messias will be doing it, too, with their 2007 VP: they will take a Quinta do Cachao and a regular Messias VP 2007 to the market.

On the other hand Royal Oporto and Quinta dos Carvalhos (VP 2005) are identical. They are only labeled differently to the respective markets.

Well if it would be too easy there wouldnt be a forum (?).

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com