2003 Rozes

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
morteno
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

2003 Rozes Vintage Port

Post by morteno »

Yesterday I had this "VP". I took it with me to a friends place, opened the bottle and (we) drank it within 30 minutes after arriving. Haste! Anyway, this is a (light?) LBV in disguise. Soft, sweet and pleasant, as I recall. I liked it, though, but I would not classify this as VP! It was fairly cheap (around $25) and actually the cheapest VP I've ever bought I think, and at the same cost as most filtered LBV's (to give you an idea about the cost of Port in Denmark). I don't know if it will close down in 3-5-7 years time or whether it will stay open as with LBV's but it would be fun to monitor that. Maybe some of you have tried similar VP's and can say something about that?

I actually read a review of this VP in yesterday's news paper where it was rated 4/6 with a comment about this not being a "real" VP. I can agree on that.

Anyway, a nice bottle to serve for people who don't worry too much Port and if you don't want to worry about how long it should be decanted before drinking etc ... and just want to get drunk :D. I might buy a couple more of those for just that purpose :wink:

Disclaimer: Written under influence of being heavily hung over (and possibly still partly drunk) and listening to The Magnetic Fields' "Distortion". I better get some fresh air and start the count down for tonight's NFL game ...
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: 2003 Rozes Vintage Port

Post by RonnieRoots »

If it is the same price as a filtered LBV than it's actually a pretty good value. How would you compare it to unfiltered LBV's that are available to you?

For a Vintage Port, it sounds rather disappointing.
morteno

Post by morteno »

Indeed. Indeed.

Compared to an unfiltered LBV I would say that the Rozes had less tannins, less alcohol, less structure, more sweetness.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I’ve only seen Rozès stocked in the UK by Nicholas who had the 2000 at a rather too expensive £20. It was also not very VP-like but that’s probably because they are aiming for the French market. From what I remember of it £14 (c. $25) or so would be more reasonable price.

Incidentally, whilst looking for a link to Nicholas, I came across quite a nice short article about Rozès, which is worth 30 seconds of your time. Interestingly, for a Port producer not associated with high-status VPs, they are apparently imported to the UK by Justerini & Brooks who are selling this at a mind-blowing £31.66 a bottle :shock: :shock:
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

A wine store in the main street of Pinhao used to store the Rozes 2000 for 17 euro. I bought a few bottles there, and they were lovely to drink young. I have one left, and plan to leave it for a number of years, just to see what the ageing capability is.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

I always had that impression tasting LBVs and VPs from Rozes. Recently I tried the both of these from 97 side by side and I actually liked their unfiltered LBV better than their VP. I guess someone must have told them, cause the LBV is in the top price level, whereas their VP is at the bottom

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
morteno

Post by morteno »

Interesting. I've got their LBV from 2000 (bought it for 85DKK/┚¬12/$17, which is a very fine price for an LBV and cheaper than the VP) and I will thus look forward to drinking that. So prices may be reversed in different countries or for different vintages ...