1960 Dow

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1960 Dow vintage port

Post by uncle tom »

Second of three bottles bought quite a long time ago. The first bottle I drank two years ago when it began to show signs of seepage - it had a very poor level and did not hugely impress me.

This bottle was also selected for 'level offences' - it having a level at top shoulder (but unchanged since I've owned it)

Decanted a few minutes ago.

The cork was quite depressed, held in by a black wax capsule that had the consistency of coal. After some mining, I finally reached the cork, which proved to be one of the most crumbly corks I've ever tackled. After teasing most of it out in small fragments, I then shoved the rest into the bottle.

Decanted cleanly, pale red in the decanter.

First sip (the dregs)..

Wow! A superb nose of roses, and on the palate a dry delicate fruity wine, with little fire.

This is the best sludge I've ever tasted!

- I hope the contents of the decanter are just as good..

..more anon

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: 1960 Dow vintage port

Post by benread »

uncle tom wrote:Second of three bottles bought quite a long time ago. The first bottle I drank two years ago when it began to show signs of seepage - it had a very poor level and did not hugely impress me.

This bottle was also selected for 'level offences' - it having a level at top shoulder (but unchanged since I've owned it)

Decanted a few minutes ago.

The cork was quite depressed, held in by a black wax capsule that had the consistency of coal. After some mining, I finally reached the cork, which proved to be one of the most crumbly corks I've ever tackled. After teasing most of it out in small fragments, I then shoved the rest into the bottle.

Decanted cleanly, pale red in the decanter.

First sip (the dregs)..

Wow! A superb nose of roses, and on the palate a dry delicate fruity wine, with little fire.

This is the best sludge I've ever tasted!

- I hope the contents of the decanter are just as good..

..more anon

Tom
Your quote about the cork is exactly my own experience with 2 or 3 of these I have had in the last 20 years. You may recall it is the port my grandfather laid down for me and of which i have one remaining bottle! Look forward to reading more about this.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

D + 5 - A nightcap

Wonderful nose, slightly dusty, nutty on the palate, evidence perhaps of the beginnings of decline, but very elegant.

D + 22

Now better integrated, the nose a little less vibrant now, but the mature fruitiness of the wine is an absolute delight.

This is so different from the last bottle, my opinion of this wine has been completely changed.

To score:

For immediate gratification this is a star, the best wine I've had this year, and, therefore, a well deserved 10.

Wher's it going? Sadly, I don't think this is going for the long haul, I have probably popped this bottle at the end of it's plateau of maturity, but hopefully the downslope will not be too severe.

Score 10-9

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Hurray for a happy surprise.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Better than all of these?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

- I wasn't there! :(

(I was on Singha beer that day 88) )

Tom
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

uncle tom wrote:
- I wasn't there! :(

(I was on Singha beer that day 88) )

Tom
But I remember having a detailed conversation with you that night. Or was I pi**ed? Hmmm? Thought so. :oops:
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

But I remember having a detailed conversation with you that night. Or was I pi**ed? Hmmm? Thought so.
Put it down to some fifth dimension thing..

Anyway, as of 8.30 yesterday that big hadron collider sent us all into a black hole (but we didn't notice) - except, of course, my biz computers, who all managed to re-align their Excel printing page breaks without other provocation... :evil:

Tom
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

uncle tom wrote: Anyway, as of 8.30 yesterday that big hadron collider sent us all into a black hole (but we didn't notice) - except, of course, my biz computers, who all managed to re-align their Excel printing page breaks without other provocation... :evil:
I think it's worth a punt for one member of :tpf: to step into that thing and see if it can take him back to VNG in the summer of 1933 with a very large truck and a bundle of cash :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn