1989 Warre Cavadinha

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1989 Quinta da Cavadinha Single Quinta Vintage Port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Bought from a discount retailer in June 2006. Easy to decant due the bottle glass used, a fair amount of well settled sediment left in the bottle.

This tasting note was taken after the port had sat in the decanter for 24 hours.

Deep red in colour, touching orange on the rim. A delicious, sweet cherry scent wafts out of the glass as the colour was being looked at. A quick swirl and a nose buried in the glass is less attractive with dustiness and stewed rhubarb over a touch too much alcohol. Sweet into the mouth, a lovely plummy and figgy flavour. Lovely development in the mouth, with plenty of flavours and complexity. Tannins are beautifully integrated and only show themselves on the finish, which goes on with its bitter chocolate tingle for a long, long time. This port is drinking surprisingly well and is better than I was expecting. Its probably dead on average and is not going to improve over the next ten years, but neither do I think it will deteriorate so I give it 5/5 or 90/100.
Last edited by Alex Bridgeman on 08:00 Fri 13 Jul 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Another note on the same wine here
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn