1983 Quinta do Noval Nacional

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1983 Quinta do Noval Nacional

Post by jdaw1 »

EricD
Fonseca Bin 27

Re: 1983 Nacional

Post by EricD »

Noval Nacional 1983: Color very pale and delicate. Very funky highly vegetal nose - I noted celery and it seemed to come and go throughout the evening. On day 2 the celery note was still present, but it was more subdued. Flavor fairly acidic, strawberry-rhubarb pie. Very odd acidic, slightly metallic finish. Jeff noted that it had a very madeira-like quality, and although I have had limited experience with madeira, it does remind me of a terrantez I had recently. Overall, not very pleasant, but rather unusual and curious to taste.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Quinta do Noval Nacional 1983: acquired by Eric directly from the Quinta a few years previously. Mid-red, and smelling of passion fruit (which some people called eucalyptus) and something less nice, celery being the most plausible description. Also, perhaps, some citrus like orange peel. Perhaps. To taste dry and awful.

A previous tasting of Nacional 1980 and of Nacional 1985 had showed passion fruit, so I was being particularly attentive to it. Perhaps it is the signature of early-1980s Nacional?

Later in the evening it seemed to shift in-and-out of passion-fruit loveliness and vegetable horribleness. Most odd.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Caramel apple red in color, this Quinta do Noval Nacional 1983 was hopefully just an off bottle. Beyond the heat in the nose was an intense and overpowering smell of celery, followed by fennel seeds, chocolate, and (per EricD) Rhubarb. I never found jdaw's passionfruit, nor did the celery diminish or orange peel evolve as some suggested late in the evening. To taste, it was all celery, with fruit beneath and a touch of licorice. (no score)
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope