1999 Warre LBV (unfiltered)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1999 Warre LBV (unfiltered)

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Traditional (ie. unfiltered) LBV. Decanted cleanly out of the bottle leaving nothing in the bottle but lots of sludge in the filter paper - so much so that it took nearly two hours to drip through.

Deep red in colour with some purple on the edge, opaque and dark. A fabulous nose of blackcurrants mixed in with some applemint. Quite light texture in the mouth but it more than makes up for this with a huge range of fruit flavours, dominated by the blackcurrants that showed on the nose. There are tannins, but these are mild and soft, most of the structure comes from a streak of acidicty that is almost - but not quite - too much. There is a quick burn on swallowing as the alcohol shows through, but then a very, very long aftertaste appears and works its way through an astonishing variety of tastes before finally fading after a couple of minutes. Warre's filtered LBVs are nothing special, but this is another great success and a very fine example of what unfiltered LBV can represent. This is extremely quaffable. 90/100 after 2 hours of decanter time on 28 September 2008.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1999 Warre LBV

Post by DRT »

I am currently drinking a different bottle of the same wine purchased from the same source as AHBs.

I cannot disagree with any of the comments above. This has a youthfull rawness that I have not experienced on a Warre's Unfiltered LBV before now but it is 4 years younger than any others I have tasted. This is a fantastic wine for the price that AHB and I picked it up for.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Thanks for the note! Good to know not to be alone with my sympathies for this one. I agree that this is extremely quaffable today although it is very young. "Youthfull rawness" is a good description. May I ask you what you have paid? In Germany there is no chance to purchase it under 20 ┚¬.

Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

We picked these up for a little under £14 per bottle in a supermarket wine promotion.
Last edited by Alex Bridgeman on 00:46 Sat 22 Nov 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Great price. One to bunker.
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB wrote:Traditional (ie. unfiltered) LBV. Decanted cleanly out of the bottle leaving nothing in the bottle but lots of sludge in the filter paper - so much so that it took nearly two hours to drip through.
1. Lift filter paper, holding it in at least three and ideally four points.
2. Insert new filter paper underneath.
3. Pour liquid in old clogged filter into new pristine filter.
4. Drink sooner.