2005 Taylor Terra Feita

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

2005 Taylor's Quinta de Terra Feita

Post by DRT »

Tasted at Quinta de Vargellas on Friday 19th Sep 08 with Frederick Blais.

Red fruits and slightly spirity on the nose. A little raw. Smooth cherry on the palate and quite approachable but then a very raw finish.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 2005 Taylor's Quinta de Terra Feita

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

So is this one to buy and cellar to allow the rawness to fade over time or is it one to avoid?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I would wait 10 years, buy a bottle, and then decide. TQdTF is promoted as a young drinking wine. On this showing it didn't seem to be something I would be glugging in 7 years time. That may be because it has longer legs than other TQdTF's or it might not be a good one. My hunch is that it is the former.
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I’ve always quite liked the Terra Feitas I’ve had, but it’s a shame that there doesn’t seem to be much of this on the market for a reasonable price. From a quick search, the 2005 seems to be more expensive than the 96 and 98 that’s currently out there…I think I might follow Derek’s advice an wait a while in the hope that prices will drop, before stocking up!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

One thing I would add is that 2005 is a vintage that almost all shippers will agree (in private) should have been declared. 2003 was too close and not selling out and 2007 (the "big 7") was looming.

If you ever have to take a 50/50 chance on a 2005 I would say take it. You probably can't go far wrong.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

DRT wrote:One thing I would add is that 2005 is a vintage that almost all shippers will agree (in private) should have been declared. 2003 was too close and not selling out and 2007 (the "big 7") was looming.

If you ever have to take a 50/50 chance on a 2005 I would say take it. You probably can't go far wrong.

Derek
That’s certainly fair enough; the going price from the few places which seem to stock this is about £25-£28, which seems a bit steep to me, but which may be more appealing for others (especially if discounts are available).
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Although I might be crossing a line here, but the most succesful thing would be to buy Vargellas and Terra Feita and mix them equally before drinking.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Axel P wrote:Although I might be crossing a line here, but the most succesful thing would be to buy Vargellas and Terra Feita and mix them equally before drinking.

Axel
This has been suggested before and I have offered my bot of TF 88 for mixing with somebody else's Vargellas 88. I suspect we will get a very fine Port.
Port is basically a red drink
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

KillerB wrote:
Axel P wrote:Although I might be crossing a line here, but the most succesful thing would be to buy Vargellas and Terra Feita and mix them equally before drinking.

Axel
This has been suggested before and I have offered my bot of TF 88 for mixing with somebody else's Vargellas 88. I suspect we will get a very fine Port.
Of course such a tasting would have to be done blind! :) (And to try the mixture and normal bottles against a conventional bottle of Taylor VP from a similar year). Perhaps some sort of Taylor/Taylor SQVP vertical might be in order?