1980 Taylor

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1980 Taylor vintage port

Post by uncle tom »

First bottle from a case I've had for about three years, yet have never previously investigated.

Decanted 3pm - came very cleanly off its sediment, so much so that the bottle was almost empty before any sediment emerged.

Bright rose red as it poured, ruby in the decanter.

First sip - hint of bottle stink, light, both on nose and palate.

D + 4 Nicely mature wine, but a little bit of a lightweight. very little to offer on the nose, pleasant on the palate, with only a hint of fire on the finish.

Reminds me of a school report: 'causes little trouble, but takes less'

More anon

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 1980 Taylor vintage port

Post by uncle tom »

D + 24 hrs

Very similar to 20hrs ago, light, low on nose, no big cheese..

D + 30 hrs

Suddenly this has come round - full, integrated; but a little fire has emerged also - a bit wierd!

For immediate gratification, this scrapes a 6, but a few hours ago I was ready to give it a 4...

Although light, this is also slightly immature still, but I'm not sure it will earn another grade

So score 6-6

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill