1983 Kopke Sao Luiz

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
benread
Niepoort 1977

1983 Kopke Quinta St. Luiz

Post by benread »

My first bottle from the cellar of Uncle Tom. Recorked and waxed by him. Opened within 24 hours of being acquired because I was too impatient to try it!

Consumed 1st - 5th October 2008.

Slightly musty on the nose and with a mixed heavy and fine sediment. Most of the bottled was consumed on night 1 with less that 1 hour decanting time. I came back to it at 24 hours (after curry) for 1 glass and at +1 day and for the last glass at +4 days. The slightly musty smell remains, but the wine does seem to have improved slightly. More fruit noticeable after a few days.

At GBP5/bottle a bargain compared to other supermarket budget options. Thank you Tom!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 1983 Kopke Quinta St. Luiz

Post by uncle tom »

You're welcome!

I only re-waxed it BTW

I decided to re-wax the ones I'm going to keep and those for Axel (to make them more air-worthy) but then got a bit carried away..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill