Name a WOW! port

Anything to do with Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Name a WOW! port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Moses' recent post on top rated port and Tom's recent tasting note on the Dow 1960 made me wonder which port was the most recent port (of any type) that made you sit up and say "Wow! I didn't expect anything like that!" (in a good way).

My most recent Wow Experience was about a year ago when Derek poured me a blind tasting sample. What he poured was a youthful but not a young port, darker than a Dow 1983 that was being drunk alongside it. The nose was a little closed but had toffee and strawberries in it but the wow came when I tasted the port. It was so thick, with restrained fruit and a surprising dryness and a massive length of dark chocolate and dried cherries. Fantastic to drink at the time and something that will be even better in 5-10 years.

Then Derek told me that it was a Smith Woodhouse Quinta da Madalena 1988 that had been decanted for 16 hours. WOW!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: Name a WOW! port

Post by mosesbotbol »

1985 Fonseca comes to mind of recent. My "wow" was that we shouldn't have opened it and I wished we could've poured it back and recorked it. The 1985 Fonseca is way too young to even consider drinking at this point. Maybe in 10+ years it should be considered.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The port that surprised me most in recent months was the Ferreira 1980 tasted at AHB's house in May. I don't have much experience of this house but in terms of pure drinking pleasure right now it came out top of a long line-up which contained all of the major league shippers.

Second to that would probably be the Taylor 85 I tasted alone earlier this year. After reading lots of negative stuff about this port I have to say my forst impression was very favourable and I think this is a VP that has not yet shown its true potential.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Although one expects a lot from a 40y old Tawny, my wow experience was a 40y old Noval Tawny, were I was sitting the whole evening, enjoying this and getting drunk...

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
TBird
Fonseca LBV

Post by TBird »

twice this year, i've been fortunate enough to have mr roy hersh provide a 77 warre that grabbed my attention. between him and gman, who brought the 77 taylor fladgate to dinner, those two started to awaken the inner port lover that was trapped in me. i'd call them my "wow!" ports. thanks guys. just what i needed, another expensive hobby. :wink: :P
you've got a friend in cheeses
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Simon Lisle »

Firstly I would like to apologise for my lack of input over the last few months,As to the ferreira 1980 from the bottle I tasted it was a good solid port and well worth the money but quite scarce here.The wow for me was a humble LBV Quinta Venteloza 94 superb.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Axel P wrote:Although one expects a lot from a 40y old Tawny, my wow experience was a 40y old Noval Tawny, were I was sitting the whole evening, enjoying this and getting drunk...
I agree, the Noval 40-yr old is an exceptional wine. What gives it that "wow" factor for me is that it is cheaper than most other 40-yr olds, at least here in the US.
Glenn Elliott
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

The first port that comes to mind for me is the Fonseca Guimaraens 1976. Incredible power and youth from a port from a mediocre year.