2004 Niepoort LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

2004 Niepoort Late bottled Vintage Port

Post by Michael M. »

Popped and poured from a 0,75l bottle. Had a bit more than a half during 4 hours.

Absolutely bright, red colour, no sediment at all in the bottle. Pretty light in colour, no black in the middle, not opaque, no striking violet at the edge. Nose is not giving much but some red fruits. On the palate red fruits, tannins, rather light, short to medium finish. Best after 3 hours but no significant improvement. After 24 hours and storage in the fridge there it was just thin on the palate. Not a real pleasure. This was the third disappointing bottle within 3 month or so. Confused. Maybe heat damage? Or just no good LBV from Niepoort this year (colour!)?
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: 2004 Niepoort Late bottled Vintage Port

Post by Axel P »

I just bought a couple of cases of the 2003 LBV which is very good.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Axel P wrote:I just bought a couple of cases of the 2003 LBV which is very good.
Axel
Ordered 3 bottles of 2003 today- for another story. Any opinions on 2004?
morteno
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by morteno »

I can second that, Michael:

Last week I drank some Niepoort 2003 LBV, which I much enjoyed. Yesterday I attended the Port Wine Festival held at Børsen in Denmark. There were about 25 houses present and one of them was Niepoort. I tried the 2004 LBV and it was just so very different from most other young LBV's and their 2003 LBV that I had never guessed it was from Niepoort, or even a young LBV. To me it was just wrong. Little fruit showing, the colour not as dark and purple as expected. Not really that pleasant.
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

morteno wrote:I can second that, Michael:

... it was just so very different from most other young LBV's and their 2003 LBV that I had never guessed it was from Niepoort, ...
Yes, it lacks Niepoort style.