1988 Quinta de la Rosa

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1988 de la Rosa vintage port

Post by uncle tom »

The second of six bottles, decanted yesterday.

This wine has the distinction of being Rosa's first vintage as an independant producer, and it is perhaps unfortunate that they did not launch on a more promising year.

I had this wine tagged as a 'drink up' candidate, based on an encounter with another bottle from this stash, that was strangely ullaged, despite having no sign of seepage - a poor fill I suspect.

However, from this bottle, I think the wine could still benefit from a few more years.

It is no star. A clean but slightly aggressive nose, and on the palate it is rather tart. It lacks the benign 'fireside' character that we all appreciate in a good vintage port. The wine looks the part; but fails to deliver. Pity..

To score - well, it might mellow a little with a few more years, but for now it is close to the bottom rung. But I'll be optimistic..

..so score 2-3

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 1988 de la Rosa vintage port

Post by uncle tom »

Postscript: A day later, the wine had much better integrity.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

Re: 1988 de la Rosa vintage port

Post by Simon Lisle »

I've had the 87 with the fancy silvery label but alas it was poor weak all round.