1963 Warre

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1963 Warre vintage port

Post by uncle tom »

One of three bottles bought on a shot to nothing bid at Christies in July. Part of a mixed lot, It wasn't a prime target of mine, but bidding live on the internet, I saw there was no interest in the lot, and when the auctioneer dropped to half low estimate to get some response, I realised there was probably no reserve. A click of the mouse, and it was mine!

Oporto bottled, one bottle sound, with level in neck, one with BN level and broken capsule, the third one with an MS level and a serious seepage issue. Cost (Inc BP) for the three bottles, £84 - not bad, when you consider it normally sells for around £700/case!

The bottle with a broken capsule has been re-waxed, and the leaking bottle has now been put out of its misery!

Decanted on Friday - huge amount of bottle stink, and slightly corked, spoiling the nose :x

But on the palate this is a lovely wine, light, quite pale, smooth and very quaffable, although probably not one that will last forever.

No score as slighly corked.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill