1977 Delaforce

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

1977 Delaforce Vintage Port

Post by RonnieRoots »

Tasted at the July 2 1977 horizontal.

Somewhat dark core, but overal light in colour, turning to brown. A lovely fresh and perfumed nose, that also shows cocoa and coffee. A delicate taste, precious and young, with a lovely balance. Dark fruit, and chocolate are prominent, but it’s elegantly layered and rather complex. I like this a lot. My guess: Warre. 93 points.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Pale, light and clear. Not much colour and what there is, is the colour of burnt sugar. Lovely orange and floral notes on the nose. Quite a dense texture, with lots of the floral flavours promised by the nose and a lovely bite of cranberries in the mid-palate. A very acidic structure with the tannins only just still peeping through. Elegant but a little simple in the middle. A very pleasant aftertaste that lasts of reasonable length. Out of the four remaining wines, I guessed that this was the Warre. 89/100.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: 1977 Delaforce Vintage Port

Post by RonnieRoots »

To make searching easier, I've copy/pasted LadyR's tasting notes of this port, as originally posted here:
Delaforce ‘77
Dark brown-red and much more youthful than former ports. Powerful smell of coffee and cacao with dark cherries. Bith harsh in taste, balanced structure of dark sweet fruit and creamy chocolate with firm tannins. Bit hot on finish, but deliciously ‘young’ port. Can age some more.
92 pts