2003 Niepoort

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

2003 Niepoort Vintage Port

Post by Frederick Blais »

Sunday with Luc I did open this to celebrate is first experience with Niepoort VP. I think that on that day I could not open a more perfect bottle, it was shining.

The nose was so expressive, with mixing essence of dark ripe plums, black cherries and current, not to forget the fragrance of sexy floral notes. The palate is just a dark horse. It was almost undrinkable 2 years ago when it was release with powerful peppery tannins taking over the palate, but today it is evolving in a civilized manner with bold and ripe fruits taking care of the agressive tannins just like a mother to her baby. The balance and the depth are just incredible and still that grip reminding you how much concentration this port has to last for decades! Don't get fool by this complex early enjoyable, yet baby VP, it will last longer than you. Buy a case of candles along with a case of this VP, your heir will need them too! 19/20

Ok, for those who care about young VP that had some time in the decanter, I kept 20% of the bottle int he fridge. 2 days later, it is not showing as good. Unfortunately it has lost his floral notes, the palate got softer, still full of bold tannins just a tad less grippy, the finish is not as lingering either. I would rate this sample 17/20

I'm the kind who always likes his VP within the first 12 hours of opening to get more freshness out of it.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Great to hear this port is shaping up so nicely. It is one of my favourite Niepoorts. 88) 88)
TBird
Fonseca LBV

Re: 2003 Niepoort Vintage Port

Post by TBird »

awesome, just picked up a few at what i considered to be a decent price($64.99) and was feeling guilty about killing one soon. :oops:
you've got a friend in cheeses
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Frederic,

I tasted this last time 2006 out of a half bottle. I had the same impression about its complexitiy and strength, but the tannins were not showing that strong when it was really young. I was to open another soon to see how it evolves, but after your TN I will leave it in the cellar.

Obrigado

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Frederick Blais »

I did have this a couple of times during the harvest again this year. One was serve side by side with the Secundum. Surprisingly upon opening the Secundum was the favourite of all, and I mean all. We did the same test 24 hour later, it was totally different, the classic VP was more open and become a favourite. It is clear that this port needs a lot more time in cellar.
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV

Post by ac-fast »

Mmm.. looking forward to taste one of my 2 bottels of Nieport 2003
Any time not spend drinking port, is a waste of time.