2005 Pintas

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

2005 Pintas Vintage Port

Post by RonnieRoots »

I've reported on this port before (look here), and wanted to try it again because it was one of my favourites of the vintage. Also, LadyR didn't have the chance to taste it yet. Enough reason to have a bottle brought over to Oman.

Very dark, purple black colour coming into the decanter. In the glass also showing a bright purple edge. Immediately after decanting this has a lovely nose of fresh crushed grapes and very dark cherries. Very floral (lemon blossom), full and fresh.
The taste is full. Mouthwatering, sweet ripe fruit with a perfect, strong tannin structure. Powerful yet elegant, with distinctive mineral tones, and dark cocoa transforming into chocolate truffle. Long, dark, medium sweet and spicy finish.

After 3 hours in the decanter this port is very much unchanged, perhaps rounded up a little, but also showing its fierce tannins more in the incredible finish.

I still believe this is the best Pintas yet. Great stuff with an excellent future. If there is one port from the 2005 vintage that you'd consider buying, it would have to be this one. 95+ points.

There is still plenty in the decanter to try the coming days. I will surely post an update on that.
ajfeather
Fonseca LBV

Re: 2005 Pintas Vintage Port

Post by ajfeather »

Not seen it in the UK ,would love to try it one day.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

It's certainly worth tracking down. Might be difficult though, only 3000 bottles were produced in 2005.

+24
Still going strong, now adding some fresh ground dark coffee to the mix, as well as a pronounced acidity. This will go a long way, and yet, is extremely enjoyable now.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Ronnie,

I have to re-try it again. I was at Passadouro talking to Jorge and Sandra about their VPs. I believed at this stage the Pintas is very seducive, very fruity, but lacks a bit of overall intensity. My personal favourite of the 05s is the Vesuvio, but I do have another bottle of Pintas that I will try soon again.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com