Gonzalez, Byass and co. 1960 vintage port.

Anything to do with Port.
RDadd
Cruz Ruby

Gonzalez, Byass and co. 1960 vintage port.

Post by RDadd »

Hi,

I'm sorry to say I dont honestly know the first thing about port or wine but recently a bottle of 'Gonzalez, Byass and co. 1960 vintage port' came into my possession. It was quite an interesting bottle and got me really intrigued about the whole thing, so I posted this in a couple of Port forums just to find out any info. so if anyone has any ideas or information about this port I would be most grateful, Thanks and sorry if I posted this in the wrong bit,

Rob
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Gonzalez, Byass and co. 1960 vintage port.

Post by jdaw1 »

Hello and welcome: you have posted in the correct place. Uncle Tom, born 1960, and a collector of that vintage (and every other) may well know a lot about this wine. I will invite him.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I regret to say that I have never consumed or owned this particular vintage of GB, but do have considerable respect for this producer, though it is long since deceased..

The opportunity to sample this wine - or secure a modest stash, would be most welcome!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

• RDadd:
    • There is a vague plan for a horizontal tasting of 1960 ports, some time in their fiftieth anniversary year (2010, of course), perhaps near the time of Tom’s 50th birthday. Would you be willing to delay consumption of your GB60, instead using it as a ticket (or, depending on the arrangements, partial ticket) for your seat at that tasting?
    • Or, failing which, would you be willing to exchange it for some other splendid port?
  • Tom:
    • Propose a swap!
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Tom:
Propose a swap
Would happily swap it for a Delaforce '60 - and throw in a Morgan '91 to sweeten the deal!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

RDadd -- sounds like you happened upon a bottle that folks here are enthusiastic about :) But it could also be that you'd really like to know what is IN it. If you aren't familiar with ports, its red, a little more viscous than wine, sweet, and has probably developed characteristics ranging from chocolate to licorice to leather. It all depends on how well that year's brew has aged (and of course a bit on how it was stored).

Here are a few other tasting notes from more recent years of GB:
THRA on GB70
DRT on GB70
DRT on GB85

And here are two notes from 1960 vintage ports (of a different maker from yours)
JDAW on Cockburn 1960
DRT on Warre's 1960

Should you simply be interested in selling/trading the bottle, I'm sure the gentleman above would be happy to help. Likewise, using it for a spot at one of our tastings (83/85 example, we each bring a bottle on the theme of the evening) is a good way to use it to learn a lot more about the very tasty world of ports.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
RDadd
Cruz Ruby

Post by RDadd »

Hi and may I say thanks very much for all of your replies, its been quite interesting finding out about different ports and wines and have been too many websites I would never have dreamed of going to before! (wine-wise of course :o)
Anyway thanks for all your offers but I think maybe I would be just happy to sell it, if anybody on here is interested that is, if not I will just have to drink it (oh dear what a shame!) I dont know how this sort of thing works but I suppose I'll just start by taking offers

Thanks again

Rob.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

RDadd wrote:I dont know how this sort of thing works but I suppose I'll just start by taking offers
I'll probably not bid unless you're nearby, but i know a few things people will be interested in:
1) What country (and if US, state) you are in as that will affect shipping -- and if it is even possible.
2) A picture of the bottle from a few angles. Folks will definitely want to see the label, the condition of the wrapper at the top, and the white tag hanging from beneath the wrapper.
3) You'll want to hold a bright light behind the neck of the bottle (when upright) and try to describe how far up or down the neck the wine sits, as that gives people an idea of how well its aging.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

By a curious coincidence, a bottle of GB60 has just appeared in an auction catalogue (McTears in Glasgow)

Rdadd - could you let me know how much you are hoping to sell this for [and let us know where you are] - (or PM me to discuss..) - and Derek, will you be venturing back to your ancestral haunts this side of Xmas?

Tom
RDadd
Cruz Ruby

Post by RDadd »

Well I tried to take a few pictures to give a better idea of the bottle in question, The bottle itself is quite dirty, and the label has been broke on one side, but it is unopened.
I am in Southend On Sea, Essex. As far as money goes, I'm not sure but the McTears auction has it at 60 - 100. but how do you know what its gonna be like until you open the bottle?! I suppose thats the risk!
IMG_1183.JPG
IMG_1183.JPG (110.24 KiB) Viewed 2829 times
IMG_1185.JPG
IMG_1185.JPG (163.15 KiB) Viewed 2829 times
IMG_1186.JPG
IMG_1186.JPG (143.2 KiB) Viewed 2830 times
RDadd
Cruz Ruby

Post by RDadd »

Blimey, sorry they came out so big but it took me long enough to figure out how to get them up in the first place! anyway last one. this one shows the broken side of the label bit.
IMG_1187.JPG
IMG_1187.JPG (128.04 KiB) Viewed 2826 times
RDadd
Cruz Ruby

Post by RDadd »

oh and that first pic behind the light to show the level, the bottle is upright, but had to have the camera at an angle to take decent pic what with the light behind it and all. If you need anymore pictures, or any tips on how to get nice small ones up on here then feel free. : )

Rob
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

uncle tom wrote:Derek, will you be venturing back to your ancestral haunts this side of Xmas?
I have no plans to be in Glasgow before Christmas but I wouldn't rule it out.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

McTears auction estimate is rather off the scale, but that is not uncommon - especially when the wine does not feature in any published guide.

The most recent appearances of GB for 1955 and 1970 - both very solid vintages (more so than 1960 - even though I was born that year.. :roll: ) have shown prices of below £30 for the '70 and below £50 for the '55, so it would seem reasonable to expect the '60 to sell for less than £40, especially as there are no tasting notes that I know of to indicate whether or not this an exceptional wine for the vintage.

I would be happy to pay £40 for a bottle, but no more.

Tom